Battery menu bar issue

IDV

Reaction score
Hello,

I notice something strange on my Macbook Pro (unibody):

- Since a few days, I'm not able to show the "battery status" in the menu bar anymore. When I check the box under "Energy Saver", I notice that it tries to add it to the menu bar but after a fraction of a second the check box gets unchecked again.
- I already tried to reset the SMC but that didn't solve the issue.
- The battery seems to work fine for the rest (although I use it already 1,5 years daily) and when I go to "system profiler", everything seems normal also for the battery (status of charging, charge remaining,…)

Does anybody has a solution for this?

I really appreciate your help!

Thanks,
Isabelle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Have you restarted your MacBook in the last few days or just let it sleep? If sleep then I would recommend a Restart.
If this does not help I would reset the PRAM to clear the disk cache, Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM if this does not solve it repair your disk and permissions.
To do this boot into your install DVD, go to Utilities > Disk Utility, click your HDD in the left pane, click the First Aid tab, click Repair Disk. Once done click Repair Disk Permissions. This could take a while so be patient. Once done reboot and see if the problem has been resolved.

Keep us posted on how you get on. :)

- Simon

OP
I

IDV

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick reply Simon,

I restarted my Macbook several times the last few days.
I also did reset the PRAM and NVRAM but that didn't help either.

The repair of the disk permissions I didn't do yet because I don't have that DVD here.
I have 2 questions about that suggestion:
- I prefer to be careful with my harddisk. Are you sure this could have something to do with that battery status? And if yes, I hope I can't do anything wrong with that?
- I notice in the "disk utility", that I can also repair the disk permissions. Can I do it here instead of having to use the DVD?

Thanks,
Isabelle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
You can repair permissions wihout the dvd, go to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility, there really isn't anything to worry about from doing this.
It really does sound more of a software problem than anything.

HTH
- Simon

OP
I

IDV

Reaction score
Hi Simon,

Thanks again for the quick reply.
I just did the "repair disk permissions" but I still can't get the battery info in the menu bar (even after a reboot)...

I also think it's a software issue since the "system profiler" can read that info without a problem.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks,
Isabelle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You could try booting into safe mode by holding down the shift key just after you her the startup chime. If the problem has gone anyway they we are looking at some sort of software conflict.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Try this click on Finder then click on System Library then click on Core Services then click
on Menu Extras the last but not least click on Battery Menu also you will notice there are a lot of things you can clutter the bar with.

OP
I

IDV

Reaction score
@Buzzard: When I rebooted in safe mode, I still wasn't able to get the info in the menu bar.

@OSXX: I tried what you suggested: When I do that, the same happens as when I try to check the box "show battery status in the menu bar" under "energy saver": So what happens is that the menu bar moves as if the battery icon is being inserted but then it immediately disappears again.

Very strange...

Maybe you have another suggestion? :)

Thanks,
Isabelle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did this start after you downloaded an application? Also have you tried opening Energy Saver and hit the restore defaults I know it usually just changes the settings back to factory but it could not hurt to give it a try.

OP
I

IDV

Reaction score
I did indeed try the "restore defaults" but no success.

I indeed installed some new applications the previous weeks but it's hard to recall which ones.
The problem is also that I'm not sure how long I already have this issue since I don't look at that battery status a lot since I use my Macbook most of the time with the power cord.

I hope someone has another clue or solution?

Thanks,
Isabelle

OP
I

IDV

Reaction score
Maybe it's caused by an application... But how do I find out which one?

It's a very inconvenient issue because I'm working more and more on battery power these days...

Where are all those Mac wizards here? :)

Thanks,
Isabelle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It might be time to visit an Apple Store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have downloaded an application like coconut battery or such, it could be a conflict?

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Have you upgraded your OS lately ?
I remember this exact issue as a result of a 10.6.x ( don't know the exact version anymore ) update.
Apple fixed it in the next update.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
I

IDV

Reaction score
No application like coconut battery or any other application that seems to have any connection with the battery.

Indeed, I updated my OS lately. I always update my OS to the latest version.

Regards,
Isabelle

OP
I

IDV

Reaction score
I just tried Coconut battery to see if that application was able to read my battery info and that seems to work fine.

So I really don't understand why my "energy saver" can't read that info and why it's not possible anymore to add that info to the "menu bar".

Strange...

Isabelle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
No application like coconut battery or any other application that seems to have any connection with the battery.

Indeed, I updated my OS lately. I always update my OS to the latest version.

Regards,
Isabelle

What version of the OS are you running and on what machine ?

Cheers ... McBie

OP
I

IDV

Reaction score
I'm running version 10.6.6 on a Macbook Pro 2.66 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 RAM

Regards,
Isabelle

OP
I

IDV

Reaction score
Still no way to get my battery indicator back in the menu bar...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Ok, before I recommend a clean install after reading this thread and feeling a little frustrated :) Could you set up a new account, log into that new account, and give us an update as to the status of your battery in the menu bar?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.