On battery: shutting down before reaching 0%

epb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2,4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1066 Mhz DDR3 RAM, OS X 10.8.2
As the title of this thread indicates, my MacBook shuts down before reaching the 0% marker when running out of battery... Sometimes on almost 20%, sometimes less. In addition, I don't get a warning saying that the computer is running on reserve battery power before it shuts down (I used to get this message when the computer was i bit newer). Anyone who knows something about this problem? Am I just dealing with an old battery? The computer is about a year old..

Reaction score
i have this same exact issue. if anyone has an answer please help. i was starting to thing my battery just may need to be re-calibrated.

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
I'm pretty sure that's what it's designed to do. 20% is a bit ridiculous, but mine does it around 5-8%. Why would you want to run your battery to zero and possibly damage your computer or the information you're working with anyway?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I'm pretty sure that's what it's designed to do. 20% is a bit ridiculous, but mine does it around 5-8%. Why would you want to run your battery to zero and possibly damage your computer or the information you're working with anyway?

It should give a warning first, and it should sleep, not shut down. Suddenly dying at an unpredictable level is not normal.

I'd calibrate the battery, of course, and reset the PMU. (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319)

Then take it to Apple, or call AppleCare if it doesn't go away..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
Have you tried calibrating the battery?

OP
E

epb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2,4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1066 Mhz DDR3 RAM, OS X 10.8.2
Have you tried calibrating the battery?

Yes, I have.. I do it frequently as recommended in the MacBook manual. I guess I'll have to talk to Apple then :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
Yes, I have.. I do it frequently as recommended in the MacBook manual. I guess I'll have to talk to Apple then :(

That is the best move for now ... let us know the outcome. Cheers ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.