I appear to connect to my Actiontec router fine but cannot browse the internet

Reaction score
My Macbook appears to be connecting to my Actiontec DSL router/hub but I am unable to browse or see the Internet. My TCP/IP setting are to use DHCP and I appear to be getting a IP but it does appear to be coming from the DHCP server that my router is providing. It is my understanding, possibly seriously faulty, that the wireless connection once established with a wireless router should be obtaining an ip address and dns addesses for my Macbook from the wireless router. This appears to be what is happening on my PC laptop. For some reason the Macbook appears to be getting an IP but certainly not from the DHCP Server on the router.

I am thouroughly stumped not to mention frustrated. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
so you have a pc laptop and a macbook, you can see the internet with the pc but not the mac? is that right? you are right, your macbook needs an ip and dns provided by the router whether wired or wirelessly.

what is the ip address you get on your macbook from your router? is it similar to the one you get on your pc laptop (ie, 192.168.0.x for both?) or does your mac get an ip of 169.254.x.x? if it gets a 169.254.x.x address it is NOT getting an ip by DHCP.

does your macbook confirm you have joined your wireless network? do you have WEP or WPA security in place?

OP
R
Reaction score
Yes, the macbook confirms that I've joined the wireless network but the DHCP negotiation appears to be failing. I am running with 128 bit WEP and a MAC access control list on the router. If I drop WEP altogether and leave only the MAC access control list, both the Macbook and PC are able to negotiate a DHCP ip assignment. The IP being assigned is the infamous self-assigned IP 169.254.x.x.

Everything, I've been able to turn up suggest that this problem is with Apple's software, though Apple seems to be pointing fingers at 3rd party hardware vendors. I am going to see what is involved in getting WPA security to work and give that a shot. Otherwise will probably just have to wait until Apple pulls their head outta their proverbial backside and fixes the problem. That assumes of course that it is in fact an Apple problem.

Reaction score
so it works if you disable WEP?

i had a problem connecting to wireless networks with a macbook. as you seem to be able to connect but not get dhcp this may not apply to you but you could try it. when you connect and type in a wep key, put a dollar sign in front of the key, ie

"$12345678"

to this day i have no idea why it works but it does for me. either that or manually specify an ip/subnet/router/dns yourself and see if that works.

OP
R
Reaction score
Well, the problems appears to definately be related to Apple's implementation of DHCP and WEP. I decided to try the WPA security instead of WEP. Lo and behold, DHCP negotiation worked fine. So, I have better security and a working wi-fi on the Macbook at home. Hope this will prove useful to others who might be running into this problem.

:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.