• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

iPhone Scam the loot, craigslist. Lee Hall & Mr T Larter

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently been scammed and want to post this info to make others aware.

They are posting on tons of auction type websites claiming to have 60% off due to a shop closing in Newcastle Upon Tyne.

The emails used for these scams are:
[email protected]
[email protected]

Names associated with these scams are LEE HALL and Mr T. LARTER, with mobile number 07974 032 659.

Avoid it at all costs. Ive lost money to them.

Thanks.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Craigslist is filled with scammers on both the selling and buying side. As a seller, I make sure to meet people in public places and only do cash transactions. I've done a lot less transactions as a buyer, but do a lot of checking to ensure that the product is legit before giving money.

I also only deal with local sellers/buyers..

OP
S
Reaction score
Absolutely the right way to do a transaction you've just described there. Wish I'd done that instead.

I don't consider myself to be naive, I guess I was trusting and pushed away the 'should i really be doing this' thoughts.

I am trying to post this around forums to create as much inconvenience to these guys as possible.

Hopefully someone will read this and keep it in mind.

Sve

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I do a lot of buying (and some selling) on Craig's List. Lots & lots of folks running scams. Most of them are just "phishing" for personal info...to put folks e-mail address's on their spam lists. Especially avoid deals where the price seems too good to be true...and avoid most folks that list their contact info as a gmail e-mail address (or any address other than the Craig's List "clickable" e-mail reply).

The only way I deal with Craig's List deals is meeting folks face to face at a public place...like a shopping mall or restaurant. This way the items can be inspected...and only use/accept cash as payment.

A person could have a full-time job making the world aware of potential (and real) scammers on Craig's List. And doing this wouldn't slow them down one iota. They just change their names, phone numbers, and e-mail address's...and continue doing what they do.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes I agree that it is impossible to make any real impact on these scamming parasites.

But even if this post makes one person think again about bank transfers/wiring money or realising that the price is too good to be true, or makes people aware of what to spot about scamming ad's and in turn they report it, then thats a success in my eyes.

Here's hoping!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.