Web design software options like....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Hi all,

I'm having a heck of a time finding a web development package I like and can afford...

Rapidweaver - cool, but restricted to templates (ugh)
iWeb - more restricted then Rapidweaver, some functions only work if hosted on a site like MobileMe
Kompozer - great if I want to do all design myself - including menus and such - but limited for website plugins or user created plugins for websites (like java scripts, etc)
Freeway - looks neat, but freeway express (within price range) seems to eliminate a lot of functionality (including it seems actions) and freeway pro is way beyond my price range.
Amaya - no.
Dreamweaver - umm, way beyond my price range.

What I'd love to find, but don't know if it exists - is something like:
WYSIWYG Web Builder - reasonably priced, quite powerful for a wysiwyg, has many pre-built scripts, ability to use custom scripts, theme support (but development of a given page doesn't require the use of a theme), nice advanced menu support (dropdowns, etc. without a lot of hand work), etc. for the Mac.

Yes, I could just run that web builder in a VM, but honestly, I'd prefer a Mac native solution rather then using a VM/bootcamp/additional computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac,Macbook Pro
If I were you i would find something that can make the job done with not have to spend that much money. I use Sandvox and Dreamweaver.

Sandvox for some fast work and Dreamweaver for some legit professional work

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I saw your post the other day... I actually already know how to install/use a CMS, but, honestly, I don't want to use a CMS system for this website :) - at least not one quite like that one - if I were to use a CMS, at this point, I'd do the overall design and my own PHP to integrate into a back end that was just designed for creating content (ie: using PureEdit CMS PureEdit, Making content management purely simple. ) - I've never been good at building templates for CMS systems (whether it be CMS Made simple, joomla, drupal, etc.).

To Ernestkarelia: Unfortunately, Dreamweaver is a tinsy bit beyond my financial means :( Sandvox may be interesting, but I'll have to try it out.

C

chas_m

Although I agree that iWeb isn't right for the OP, I do have to point out that you can build an iWeb site from a totally blank page -- no template required.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.66ghz + many, many more :^)
If you haven't seen them there are a lot of third-party templates for RapidWeaver. Plus, if you dig into the CSS with a text editor and any image editing application you can heavily customize an RW template.

Hopefully that was helpful to you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.