connecting to car stereo

Reaction score
i know i can connect my macbokk pro to my car stereo using the mini jack but what about using the usb.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
???

I wouldn't even try it because you're connecting 2 jacks together where both of them are designed to provide power to the connected device. Have no clue what it might do. If you try it and it burns out the USB ports on your Mac, make sure to let us know. ;)

I really have no idea though.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i know i can connect my macbokk pro to my car stereo using the mini jack but what about using the usb.

When you mention the mini jack, I think you're probably piping audio from your MacBook Pro into your stereo. When you say you want to use USB, that makes me think you have other intentions (possibly video or control of the MacBook Pro as though it were an iPod/iPhone). If that's true, then no, it doesn't work that way. Both your car stereo (assuming it's equipped with a USB port) and your MacBook Pro are host devices, not peripherals - and so, they don't expect to be connected as a peripheral. As bobtomay mentioned, one of the big differences is that your host will provide a certain amount of power over the connection, so when you try to connect two hosts, that can be a bad thing.

OP
H
Reaction score
first of all i can connect to my usb for my harmon kardon usb speakers, work great. my car stereo has a ipod usb input and i thought that seeing as i can connect my ipod and flash drive to the usb on my car stereo, then why not form my macbook pro. i see, your saying that because my usb port on my car stereo gives power it might cause a problem with my usb port on my macbook. then ill stick to using the 3.5 mini jack. i know it works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.