Time Machine Backup or Archive

Reaction score
I'm almost out of diskspace and have purchased a My Book 1TB external hardrive. Time Machine works great on it, and now I would like to delete some of the files from my MacBook to free up space now.

I have tested this mildly, and see that when I go back in Time through Time Machine, I can restore those files. I'm talking about mostly videos, though I can see that photos will need to come next.

That's great, but looking into the future, I wonder how I can access all of those deleted files when the external harddrive reaches capacity and I need to download onto a larger drive.

My question is, is this a safe option? I see from a previous post that what I may need to do is an archive on a separate external harddrive.

Is this the advice I should take, and if so, can anyone please share further information on what archiving is. With a 1 TB harddrive, could I possibly do it on the same drive as my Time Machine is activated on?

Thank you so much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
NO it is not a safe option.
Time Machine is great for short term restore availability of accidentally deleted items. Backups will be deleted as the drive gets fuller.

Save your movies, music, photos and all important docs on at least one totally separate drive. Sad truth ~ HDs die.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.