Recording w/ Electric Guitar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 3.6 Intel i5 w/ 4MB L3 cache, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5670 ---- 16 GB iPad w/ 3G
Ive search through threads, but Im still a bit confused as to what I need. I have an iMac, and I just want to be able to simply record an electric guitar (and then maybe add drums and bass and what not later from the computer). The built in amps and effects within GarageBand will be good enough for what little I will use it. But in Apple's tutorial video, it doesnt explicitly say how to plug the guitar into the iMac. So what all do I need?

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 3.6 Intel i5 w/ 4MB L3 cache, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5670 ---- 16 GB iPad w/ 3G
So how bad is a direct signal via 1/4" to 1/8" cable? Ive heard things about noise, too low of a signal, etc. If its too low of a signal, is it too much for the iMac's soundcard to boost the signal without it sounding like total crap?

What about a 1/4" to USB bundle like the IK Multimedia Stealthplug? Ive haerd it works out fine and even comes with some good Amplitube 2 Live software available as a plugin for GarageBand. But at that same time, ive heard terrible things about these kinda of cables because of some kinda delay effect the cable has on the guitar signal..... is this true?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.