External Hard Drive Cloner Wanted

Reaction score
Hi,

I have my iTunes library living on an external hard drive.

After a close call on a faulty hard drive enclosure (I thought I'd lost the data), the importance of backing up has become so much clearer.

I have since bought 2 more external hard drives. One will back up my iMacs internal hard drive using time machine and I want the other to duplicate the contents of the external drive(I dont think Time Machine will work on an external drive).

Is there any software people recommend that can clone an external hard drive to another external hard drive? preferably one that can automate the process on a schedule.

Thanks,
Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
I use SuperDuper and find it great, some prefer Carbon Copy Cloner, but i assume there is not much difference in terms of copies from each. See here

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You may want to consider an external drive enclosure that does mirroring or a mirrored NAS (Network Attached Storage device).

For example, all of my important data (photos, music, miniDV footage) is stored on a dual-bay NAS that mirrors the data between two drives. If you don't have a network, or are insistent on using something like Time Machine, then consider something like this:

FireWire RAID 1 Redundant Mirror Performance FireWire 800, FireWire 400, USB 2.0 Storage Solution NewerTech Guardian MAXimus at OtherWorldComputing.com

RAID1 is another way to describe a mirrored volume.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.