Mail.app + gmail

Reaction score
i recently switched from yahoo!mail to gmail. i wanted to be able to use Mail.app to send mail, as opposed to go to having to log into my account via safari all the time to work with email. this works fine. the thing is, i don't know how to sync Mail.app with my gmail account, and as a result my messages are not being marked as read on my itouch, as they are being sent to it directly from my gmail account. does anybody know how to do this? i've tried reading about it but most of the instructions i find on this are VERY long, and i have a hard time believing this is too difficult to do. i know a lot of people were worried about the behavior between gmail and mail.app in detail, like how markers on messages are interpreted between the two. i am not worried about all that, i simply want my gmail to know what has been read in my mail.app, so that it can appropriately mark messages on my itouch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
All you should have to do is set up gmail to be accessed via IMAP instead of POP. You have to tell gmail to let you do this in the settings (at least you used to) and then set Mail.app to use IMAP as well. Then it should all be synced.

OP
H
Reaction score
lifeafter, can you tell me how to do the first step? the gmail account is a POP account, but IMAP is enabled by default in that account. So i am not sure if you are saying i need to somehow completely rid of POP functionality in my gmail account. if that's the case, i'm not sure how to do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
No you don't. You just need to make sure that the Mail.app is set up to use IMAP and not POP and then it should work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
No problem, let us know if it works out! :)

OP
H
Reaction score
yo, it does work, that's why i was saying thanks ;) i think the key way to put this to people is that if, in Mail.app, somebody has employed a POP gmail account, there is no way to EDIT that account to get it to be an IMAP account. This was what was most confusing. You actually have to go in and create a new account in Mail.app, and make sure to designate it an IMAP as opposed to a POP account.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.