How much could I sell my 17" MacBook Pro for?

Reaction score
So.. I got an insane deal on a 17" macbook pro on ebay. So good, I'm thinking about selling it as soon as it arrives..

specs
17" i7 500GB HDD, 8GB Ram, glossy screen, 3 years applecare

and I paid $1950

everything still in box, unopened.

what would be the real-world value on this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Maybe you should wait until it arrives and open the box and look it over and try it out before thinking about selling it?

Any deal you got on eBay that's too good to be true, probably is too good to be true. I just priced out that machine at the on line Apple store for $3048.00. It's very unlikely someone is going to sell you a machine like that for $1950.00 unless:

1. It's not really what they say it is.

2. Was dropped in someone's swimming pool.

3. Stolen goods.

I don't want to sound negative, and I certainly hope you got the deal of the month, but to me it just doesn't sound right.

Post back and let us know when it arrives.

OP
C
Reaction score
it was a no-reserve auction. and buyer had it listed to end at 4am. i got lucky.

I'm covered by paypal, especially being the buyer. so I'm not concerned. worst case scenario i'm out of 2k for a week or two while paypal gets it figured out

If all goes well and it arrives as advertised, what would i be able to get out of it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Judge for yourself. As I stated in my first post, the Apple store sells it for $3048.00 without adding in local taxes. If it's brand new, or nearly new, it'll certainly bring a premium price selling it locally or on Craig's list.

Keep your fingers crossed that it is in fact a "great deal". And yes, you will be protected as the buyer by PayPal. You just better hope that the seller is for real and that he didn't clear out his PayPal account 5 minutes after he received your payment.

Good luck with it and let us know.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
it was a no-reserve auction. and buyer had it listed to end at 4am. i got lucky.

I'm covered by paypal, especially being the buyer. so I'm not concerned. worst case scenario i'm out of 2k for a week or two while paypal gets it figured out

If all goes well and it arrives as advertised, what would i be able to get out of it?

If this was a legit auction...and if the e-Bay seller seems like a seller who doesn't have much e-Bay experience (low feedback total, or joined e-Bay recently). It's always possible the seller didn't know about setting a reserve price...and if the computer sold for a lot less than they paid for it...maybe the seller won't honor the auction ending price...and thus won't ship it.

Of course if you already communicated with the seller about the computer (after the auction ended)...and they seemed like they were going to ship it then good.

Also...like "chscag" said...nobody sells a $3048 computer for $1950 and is very happy about it. Experienced e-Bay sellers probably would have set a reserve price. Definitely pay via Paypal for the most protection. If you send $1950 to the seller...you don't want to receive a "brick" in return!!!:(

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Just to cover yourself further, I would make a video of you receiving it and opening it, to cover yourself a little further as far as having evidence of what you received.

OP
C
Reaction score
Just to cover yourself further, I would make a video of you receiving it and opening it, to cover yourself a little further as far as having evidence of what you received.

very good advice, I'll do this. The seller is communicating well. Says she'll ship the computer with delivery confirmation. Of course I'll have to make the postman stick around for a bit since I wont sign for the package until I boot the machine up and check the specs. or just confirm the serial on the box with the one under the machine. Ive heard of scams where the buyer signed for the package but then noticed they were scammed. but since it was signed for that is supposed to confirm everything was ok.

Only time will tell, but at 1,000 in savings. I figured it was worth the risk.

we'll see :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
very good advice, I'll do this. The seller is communicating well. Says she'll ship the computer with delivery confirmation. Of course I'll have to make the postman stick around for a bit since I wont sign for the package until I boot the machine up and check the specs. or just confirm the serial on the box with the one under the machine. Ive heard of scams where the buyer signed for the package but then noticed they were scammed. but since it was signed for that is supposed to confirm everything was ok.

Only time will tell, but at 1,000 in savings. I figured it was worth the risk.

we'll see :Confused:

Just offer the delivery guy a cup of coffee, and if he says no thanks, then offer him $10-$20 to stick around for a few minutes. :)

OP
C
Reaction score
Just offer the delivery guy a cup of coffee, and if he says no thanks, then offer him $10-$20 to stick around for a few minutes. :)

if the serial on the box and the unibody match up and the specs on the box are as specified (8gb i7 etc) AND the macbook is still in the cellophane i should be safe correct?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The seller is communicating well. Says she'll ship the computer with delivery confirmation. Of course I'll have to make the postman stick around for a bit since I wont sign for the package until I boot the machine up and check the specs.

If this computer is being delivered via USPS (United States Postal Service)...personally I would rather it was delivered by UPS or Fed Ex. They have a MUCH better tracking system than the Post Office.

Like you said...you saved over $1000 on this purchase...springing little extra $$$ for more reliable/better tracked shipping is worth it. Also, I sure hope someone is paying for shipping insurance...otherwise the package is only covered for $100 bucks if it gets damaged!

Be very very careful to insure when you get it that it has the correct specs. We had someone a month or so ago have a problem with an e-Bay laptop shipment where the buyer thought they were getting a newer model...and they actually got an older model.

Good luck...one heck of a deal if it turns out to be legit.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
C
Reaction score
If this computer is being delivered via USPS (United States Postal Service)...personally I would rather it was delivered by UPS or Fed Ex. They have a MUCH better tracking system than the Post Office.

Like you said...you saved over $1000 on this purchase...springing little extra $$$ for more reliable/better tracked shipping is worth it. Also, I sure hope someone is paying for shipping insurance...otherwise the package is only covered for $100 bucks if it gets damaged!

Be very very careful to insure when you get it that it has the correct specs. We had someone a month or so ago have a problem with an e-Bay laptop shipment where the buyer thought they were getting a newer model...and they actually got an older model.

Good luck...one heck of a deal if it turns out to be legit.

- Nick

its UPS Ground. hopefully the shipping goes well.

this is very daunting for me. I'm very, very, impatient.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.