• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

VMware Pricing & Ship Date announced

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
via TUAW

Product page

-Will be shipping at the end of August 2007
-Price is $79.99
-Pre-order pricing is available at $39.99 for a single license

I haven't upgraded to Parallels 3.0 yet...I wonder how good this will be. It looks like they are cloning each other...DirectX 8.1 support, similar pricing, and so on. I'm not a huge fan of VMware though; I really like Parallel's interface. Guess I'll wait for some reviews as the time gets closer...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I think Parallels, now with the same DirectX 8 support, us a much better buy.

Reaction score
I think Parallels, now with the same DirectX 8 support, us a much better buy.

Yeah, your right. VMware at 39.99 (pre-order price) verses Parallels at 79.99 is a much better buy... VMware Inc. are truly pioneers to VMM technologies for both Linux and Windows platforms. My money is on VMWare any day. I'll be preordering as soon as I find my wallet.

Reaction score
isnt boot cam better, since it runs windows natively and dosent slow down the compyter

Reaction score
Yeah, I use VMware for work on windows machines. But I'm not sure about the performance on macs so far, because Im only running on 512, Im going the full two gigs in the near future.

It does kick .... I've run Ubuntu on it in work and it works like a dream.

Although, saying that I haven't yet tried Parallels or even bootcamp as Im new to the Intel mac scene. I always had a powerpc.... the intel mac is more of a change than I thought that it would be!

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Yeah, I use VMware for work on windows machines. But I'm not sure about the performance on macs so far, because Im only running on 512, Im going the full two gigs in the near future.

It does kick .... I've run Ubuntu on it in work and it works like a dream.

Although, saying that I haven't yet tried Parallels or even bootcamp as Im new to the Intel mac scene. I always had a powerpc.... the intel mac is more of a change than I thought that it would be!

I'm curious as to how VMware will do. VMware has a huge history in the Windows world, but they're really late to the game in the Mac world. Everyone I know who has wanted to do virtualization within OS X has already purchased Parallels. What will VMware offer over Parallels? Parallels is continually updating their software, while VMware doesn't even have a final package out yet. I'm still on Parallels 2.0 though; I'm interested to see how Parallels does. Parallels also said they're coming out with a major release later this year, so I'm anxious to see what they have up their sleeves.

Reaction score
Ive used vmware on linux alot, I recently switched to macbook and purchased parallels 3.0, Im very impressed, the speed is incredible and havent found anything yet that doesnt work in it.

both are memory hogs, not that they have a choice, windows dont run worth beans on anything less then 384mb ram and that means 384mb of ram being eaten by your mac. I upgraded from 1gb to 2gb and it runs great now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.