Installing and UNINSTALLING apps in Mac

Reaction score
Ok i have installed a few apps, though the process wasnt clear at all half the time, and now I need to uninstall a couple...

Being a PC user for years, and using the Uninstall feature, I am lost as to how to remove an application properly from a Mac.

Strange enough, I watched all of the videos on Apples site for getting to know your mac, and they seem to have skipped this topic...

Could someone please help a noob out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Look in the application's folder (within the Applications Folder). There might be another sub-folder or two that contains an uninstall program. For instance, here is the path to my Office for Mac uninstaller:

~/Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Additional Tools/Remove Office/Remove Office

If you do not find an uninstaller, then either you didn't look in the right place, or there isn't one. Most applications I've used do not have an uninstaller. Those can just be removed by dragging the application's icon to the Trash, because there are no other files installed.

There might be preferences, however. An example of one of mine:

~/Library/Preferences/com.snapfish.upload.plist

~ stands for your Home folder: HD/Users/YourUserName (Obviously, I don't know your user name.)

Hope that helps!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There might be preferences, however. An example of one of mine:

~/Library/Preferences/com.snapfish.upload.plist

~ stands for your Home folder: HD/Users/YourUserName (Obviously, I don't know your user name.)

Hope that helps!
Unless you're absolutely set on removing every file created by the application, you can ignore these preference files. If you look in the ~/Library/Preferences folder, you'll see that they aren't very large.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Otherwise, if you want get rid of most the related (but insignificant in size) files to an app you are trashing with no uninstaller, you can use AppCleaner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Unless you're absolutely set on removing every file created by the application, you can ignore these preference files. If you look in the ~/Library/Preferences folder, you'll see that they aren't very large.

True. I would get rid of them more for the screen space they take up rather than the disk space. It's a personal preference, so to speak.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.