Itunes "folder" is locked

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You state that as if I'm only supposed to have one.
Hi,

so when I upgraded to lion my user account had some glitches so I made a new user account and copied a bunch of things from the old library to the new one... just stuff like the Mail folder and preference files, FireFox, some Application Support folders, etc... anyway everything was going swimingly doing this to get something that works, untill itunes decided to be the one little b@#% that didn't work with the old files... In fact.... iTunes was the only thing that didn't work in doing this...

iTunes under the new user account now issues the message "The folder iTunes" is on a locked disk or you do not have write permissions for this folder." I click ok and then iTunes quits.

What are all the files I should try deleting to get iTunes to just let me start fresh with it? Clearly something is trying to point to some folder from the old user account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi,

so when I upgraded to lion my user account had some glitches so I made a new user account and copied a bunch of things from the old library to the new one... just stuff like the Mail folder and preference files, FireFox, some Application Support folders, etc... anyway everything was going swimingly doing this to get something that works, untill itunes decided to be the one little b@#% that didn't work with the old files... In fact.... iTunes was the only thing that didn't work in doing this...

iTunes under the new user account now issues the message "The folder iTunes" is on a locked disk or you do not have write permissions for this folder." I click ok and then iTunes quits.

What are all the files I should try deleting to get iTunes to just let me start fresh with it? Clearly something is trying to point to some folder from the old user account.

You can actually just fix those permissions.
  1. Go to: Macintosh HD > Users
  2. Right-click on your user name (home folder) and select Get Info.
  3. Click the lock at the bottom and enter your password.
  4. Your permissions at the moment for that folder should be Read & Write for you, Read only for staff and everyone.
  5. Click the gear icon at the bottom, and select Apply to enclosed items.
The last step will take a few minutes to complete, but once done, everything in your home folder should now have their proper permissions. If not, holler back and we can manually tweak them some more.

OP
Rockin' Kat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok.... I take back this post... missed that apply to all enclosed folders bit... yeah... I'm a bad reader of instructions at the moment.... and it seems to have gotten me to a point where itunes wants to update itself...

OP
Rockin' Kat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yay! I have it working now! Thank you for point that out... Much awesomeness.

Reaction score
Guys,
Late to the party I know but had the same issue and followed lifeisabeach's instructions which worked perfectly, thanks a bunch.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's OK, and welcome to the Mac Forums. Glad you found an archived post helpful.

Reaction score
thanks

You can actually just fix those permissions.
  1. Go to: Macintosh HD > Users
  2. Right-click on your user name (home folder) and select Get Info.
  3. Click the lock at the bottom and enter your password.
  4. Your permissions at the moment for that folder should be Read & Write for you, Read only for staff and everyone.
  5. Click the gear icon at the bottom, and select Apply to enclosed items.
The last step will take a few minutes to complete, but once done, everything in your home folder should now have their proper permissions. If not, holler back and we can manually tweak them some more.

Thanks mate, I tried everything else util I found this. Worked like a treat.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.