Why Pages?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
I heard a lot of good things about Pages lately, and how it is better than Microsoft Word. After trying out iWork, I found pages to be a little cumbersome, especially with their interface. I probably didn't like it because i was so used to using Word, so i wanted to know, why do you guys think Pages is better than Word?

I know this is a matter of opinion, but i wanted to know about features, etc. that make Pages a better word processor than Word.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
I find it easier to work with in terms of things like the tables of contents...this used to drive me mad in Word, which is very useful if you have a large report. Also I like how well all the Mac apps are linked up, whereby I can simply drag and drop a picture into the document and then make slight adjustments from there.

The templates in Pages are also great. Simply being able to change the text and the images while keeping a professional layout is great. Also, basic DTP is great as well, making it easy to have columns and everything. To do this on PC you would need to of had Publisher separately. Of course for more advanced DTP you would probably get Adobe InDesign or something.

Pages is just as capable as Word just a lot easier to get what you want out of it. In Word you could change something or add a picture and it would affect the layout of the whole document. I also like to be able to try and create an assignment or a report in a unique way. People must get so bored of reading these regurgitated Word documents and it must be refreshing to see something different.

However, it is a matter of personal preference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
I find it easier to work with in terms of things like the tables of contents...this used to drive me mad in Word, which is very useful if you have a large report. Also I like how well all the Mac apps are linked up, whereby I can simply drag and drop a picture into the document and then make slight adjustments from there.

The templates in Pages are also great. Simply being able to change the text and the images while keeping a professional layout is great. Also, basic DTP is great as well, making it easy to have columns and everything. To do this on PC you would need to of had Publisher separately. Of course for more advanced DTP you would probably get Adobe InDesign or something.

Pages is just as capable as Word just a lot easier to get what you want out of it. In Word you could change something or add a picture and it would affect the layout of the whole document. I also like to be able to try and create an assignment or a report in a unique way. People must get so bored of reading these regurgitated Word documents and it must be refreshing to see something different.

However, it is a matter of personal preference.

I certainly agree and I also enjoy the ease of use as compared with Word. I open my options an the side and it's quite simple to change fonts, margins, colors, etc. as I put together my document. I've never seen such a user friendly app. I think you might need to use it for awhile to make the switch. Of course as everyone will tell you...it's still a personal preference.

Reaction score
The reason you find Pages not quite up to snuff as a "Word Processor" is because Pages is not a "Word Processor." Pages is more of a document processor, kind of like a desktop publisher. It does a fine job on resumes, newsletters, posters, flyers and the like, and can do some "word processing.

If your into actual "word processing" there are a few out there that do the job quite well. Open Office does a great job and is quite compatable with Word. NeoOffice also does a fine job of word processing and is also quite compatable with Word. And both programs offer presentation software and spreadsheets and databases. Their main charm being they are FREE.

If however, you are trapped in the Windows/Word world and need 100 percent compatability with heavly formatted Word documents, then you better stick with the Mac version of Word. If, like the majority of people you just need compatability with average run of the mill Word docs then either Open Office or NeoOffice will do a fine job.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.