I own an iMac now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
Sure it's not the newest iMac out there, sure it's got a 15 inch CRT screen, sure it runs at a mere 500Mhz, only has a paltry 384Mb system memory but she took OS X 10.4.11 like a tiger and runs well, albeit with a larger 40Gb drive in her....my first foray into the Mac world.....now to load it with apps and whatnot and have some fun with it ! Hopefully this site can teach me how to use it in certain terms, being a LONGTIME Windows user and currently having 4 AMD machines 2 running XP Pro and 2 running Vista, one Home Premium, the other Ultimate, I've got some stuff to learn about my newest member of the puter farm as the brain is so used to managing the AMD animals the Tiger deserves exploration !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33 MBP, 3gb ram, not enough disk space, iPod Classic, iPhone, techno-addiction
Well I guess congratulations are in order, she sounds like a beaut! This is certainly the place to get inside info into playing with the innards of your new/used toy. And I'm pretty sure she'll manage your email as good as any other computer out there today =)

Reaction score
you might consider maxing out the RAM, big performance boosts ;)

Reaction score
Hey it is a good start! Upgrade some and then wait for the "new" one. Congrats! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
Sure it's not the newest iMac out there, sure it's got a 15 inch CRT screen, sure it runs at a mere 500Mhz, only has a paltry 384Mb system memory but she took OS X 10.4.11 like a tiger and runs well, albeit with a larger 40Gb drive in her....my first foray into the Mac world.....now to load it with apps and whatnot and have some fun with it ! Hopefully this site can teach me how to use it in certain terms, being a LONGTIME Windows user and currently having 4 AMD machines 2 running XP Pro and 2 running Vista, one Home Premium, the other Ultimate, I've got some stuff to learn about my newest member of the puter farm as the brain is so used to managing the AMD animals the Tiger deserves exploration !

Pun intended???

:)

Congrats!

T

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
Oh yes, pun intended :)

As far as maxing out the RAM, I tried to install a 512Mb stick of PC133 I had handy....it didn't like it or the stick is bad.....as all my other machines take either DDR or DDR2 testing it isn't an option, just gonna track down another 256 and run it with 512.....it's not so bad with 384 unless I get a litle crazy with open tasks, the drive I threw into it is a 7,200RPM one, so it's plenty speedy. sure it's overall performance doesn't match up with my slowest AMD machine (an Athlon XP 2600+ (1.9Ghz however rated to keep up with a Pentium 4 3.2Ghz funny speed ratings by AMD with 1.5Gb of DDR RAM and a killer AGP video card) it holds it's own. I like it so far, just gotta see if I can find a superdrive for it if one exists cause it is a slot loader CD-RW in there now and I will be getting the current Apple wired keyboard....man that board is sweet to work on and a real Mac mouse.....yes I admit, I'm using a Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse on it but in a pinch, it works. Now to try and see if I can order the Restore CD set from Apple.....it came with zip for software, had to use craigslist to find a copy of Jag but the guy said he had a copy of Tiger in CD format so I got that instead thinking, newer OS, one step behind Leopard which only comes on DVD. And here's my first question, failing finding an internal SuperDrive, will this thing boot off of an external USB drive or ? Thanks for letting me ramble on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.