external dvd unit behaves strange during OS installations

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
i got a macbook whose dvd unit fried a while ago. I had an external burner that worked better anyway so i just stuck to it and never had any problems with it - until now, that is, when i formated the whole hard drive to reinstall everything. When installing macosX, it worked fine until it got to the applications DVD and then it got stuck (the console gave me a "Cannot instantiate this or that application"- tried with other sets of install disks with the same problem) Finally managed to get macosX installed by checking off all the additional apps, but now when i try to install windows it gets pretty stuck during the reboot until it shows me a picture of a folder with a question mark in the middle of a gray screen.
Whats going on?are mac laptops not suited for working with an external drive in those situations?or should i try with a different drive?
could i even use another macbooks dvd drive externally?that doesnt sound possible to me...but it would be easier for me to access another macbook than another drive!
thanks a bunch to anyone listening,
Mario C

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
How long is a while ago? If your drive isn't working, the best and obvious path would be to contact Apple directly so you won't have to use an external device to load CDs/DVDs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.