AirTunes and 3G USB Modem

Reaction score
A bit of help needed if possible...

I've finally got my 3G modem working, one of those mobile broadband things that plugs into the USB port. I'm using a MacBook and this is now giving me internet access, no problems.

The problem is I have an Airport Express thingy too and use this to play my iTunes music though an amp. As soon as I turn on the Airport on my Macbook the AirTunes works fine but the internet stops working. Basically the Airport appears to override the 3g Modem, thinking I want to use this to access the internet and use AirTunes.

As you can probably guess from the above I'm not too technically savvy so if you can help can you keep it pretty simple, thanks!

Basically I want to use the 3g Modem for the internet and, at the same time, use Airport to connect to my Airport Express for AirTunes.

Any ideas?

Jim

Reaction score
I had a similar problem: when connecting with the USB modem the Airport stopped. It was because at every modem connection there is a switch to a new Network Location having USB Modem ON and Airport OFF (disabled). The only way to have both running is to manually enable/turn-ON the Airport on the new Network Location .Theorically I could have used a script (instead of doing it manually) by means of some 'networksetup' statements but they are working in a very unpredictable way.

Reaction score
Hi Stockholmwhite,

Did you find out how to use your internet and Airtunes at the same time?

I have the same problem with my usb wireless thingie - internet stops working as soon as I start Airtunes. I'd love to hear if you somehow managed to sort it out?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You can rearrange the order of network devices in System Preferences. Make sure the 3G modem is at the top and then your airport connection. That should force internet over 3G and still let you stream via airTunes.

Reaction score
Simultaneous USB modem & Airport access

Thanks. Worked correctly.

I had the same problem where either my Time Capsule over Airport or my Internet access over a USB modem worked. Once I changed the sequence using Set Service Order, it is both backing up and accessing the net simultaneously.

You can rearrange the order of network devices in System Preferences. Make sure the 3G modem is at the top and then your airport connection. That should force internet over 3G and still let you stream via airTunes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.