Hotmail In Mail?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz White MacBook, 30 Gig iPod Video, 4 Gig iPod Mini (Sold)
Hey everyone, new around here.
I just bought a White 2.0 Ghz MacBook and of course, completly new to macs. Loving every second of owning one though!

So the question. Is it possible to add your hotmail to the Mail program that comes with the computer.

Thanks,
Jens

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I think you have to pay for Hotmails premium service for that but I would check in their help documentation. If they support POP access then you can do it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea I just took a look and you need Hotmail Plus to access email from your own email client

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
trpnmonkey41 said:
Yea I just took a look and you need Hotmail Plus to access email from your own email client

I heard the same goes for Yahoo's paid service - you can access your account through a mail client :)

EDIT: I just got my Yahoo Mail inside Mail with MacFreePops!!! Got it here and it worked!!! Yay!

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz White MacBook, 30 Gig iPod Video, 4 Gig iPod Mini (Sold)
Thats dumb:(. Why exactly is that, on my windows I can use Outlook to upload them... and I dont have Hotmail Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
You have to use hotmail plus, or use a microsoft branded product to access hotmail's http mail server. Entourage I believe has the ability to do this, and it's included with Office:Mac...on sale for $99 after rebates from Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1024ram
gmail will work with mail, if you're into switching

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
deus_ex_machina said:
I heard the same goes for Yahoo's paid service - you can access your account through a mail client :)

EDIT: I just got my Yahoo Mail inside Mail with MacFreePops!!! Got it here and it worked!!! Yay!

Anyone with hotmail or GMail should try this - it says it has those plugins but I have neither account to try

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gmail has built in POP support for free so you don't need to use that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trpnmonkey41 said:
Gmail has built in POP support for free so you don't need to use that

Ah, well. It has a leg up on the other guys. Any takers on hotmail?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Jeez, why would anyone use hotmail anyway if they don't even provide a way to access your own messages from any client?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1024ram
Aptmunich said:
Jeez, why would anyone use hotmail anyway if they don't even provide a way to access your own messages from any client?
I couldn't agree more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
not to mention only 25mb of space

Reaction score
Once you are a hotmail member for a certain amunt of time, you get upgraded to 250 MB storage. To use Hotmail, you have to use an e-mail client that supports HTTP e-mails (like Hotmail). I'm currently looking for a free one that does it, so as soon as I find it, I'll post it. Entourage works, but it's not free as far as I know.

Reaction score
I found an add on to Mail that allows you to use hotmail. I downloaded it and it works great. Now, I must give credit to the gentleman that posted this on another forum; his name is cudaboy_71 and here is the link and info he posted:

httpmail

check your mail->preferences->accounts, and click on your hotmail account.

in the 'account information' tab, i have the following--without the brackets:

description: [what shows up in the account pane to the left]
email address: [your hotmail address]
full name: [um...yer name]

incoming mail server: [hotmail.com]
user name: [your email address before the @]
password: [your hotmail password]

outgoing mail server:[services.msn.com:myusername]

if i click the 'server settings' button below that pulldown, i can type in 'services.msn.com' easily enough. but, in order to get my username to show, i change the authentication pulldown to 'password' and enter my username and password.

ok...that last bit is where it gets a little hinky. mine works just fine with authentication turned off. but, in the main view my outgoing server still shows my username after the colon.

also, make sure you configure the other tabs....especially the 'advanced' tab where you have to enable the account.

and, that the httpmail url is set to:

http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp

Now, I didn't have to enter my outgoing e-mail info as it did it for me automatically. It imported all of my messages automatically when I clicked "Get Mail". I hope this helps and a big thanks to the original guy that posted it!

R

R1150

I'd tried installed the plug-in, but it doesn't work for me though I'd followed the instruction given. My problem is the animated circle stops after awhile and no mails were downloaded. I clicked the tiny esclamation icon(replaced the animated circle) and a message reads:
"Could not connect to 'httpmail Account'
Access to Hotmail via Outlook and Outlook Express now requires a subscription. Please sign up at http://join.msn.com/general/Email"

Wonder anyone out there having same porblem.

appreciate any clue to look into. thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.