MBP - Dead, logic board replaced and different symptoms

Reaction score
Well by different symptoms I mean lack of any, the only feedback I can get out of the machine at this point is a full charge from the battery indicator.

I was playing WoW and my machine abruptly entered sleep mode, and in fiddling with it I ended up turning it off completely. I've got a 3 year old MBP (the non-uni body series with the aluminum casing).

I've had the logic board replaced and the symptoms seem different. Before the computer had some life; fans, sleep indicator, and an ability to play music via quicksilver keystrokes. Now it's pretty well lifeless.

I've attempted a few resets, but any insight is hugely appreciated.

Thanks,
Max.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Who replaced the logic board?

How long ago was the logic board replaced?

If you had your MBP repaired by Apple or other computer repair professional (versus having done it yourself)...it would probably be best to take your MBP back to them to have it fixed properly.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
It was repaired about a month ago by the Apple store in Toronto, but as far as I know these are not the same symptoms.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was repaired about a month ago by the Apple store in Toronto, but as far as I know these are not the same symptoms.

Same symptoms or not...that new logic board could be faulty in some way. And because it's a new logic board...you could also have new or different symptoms.

Take it back to the Apple Store ASAP!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

A bad Logic Board can manifest itself in a great number of ways as there are lots of components and connections on it. Do as suggested and take it back to Apple.

Clay

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Pigoo, you've got a good point. If anyone else has any idea I'd be happy to hear it as it's a long way to the nearest Apple store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Thanks Pigoo, you've got a good point. If anyone else has any idea I'd be happy to hear it as it's a long way to the nearest Apple store.
It may be inconvenient but as was said take it back ASAP.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Too bad the Apple Store is far from you. But Apple is responsible for the repair...so they should be the folks to "make good" with it (at no cost to you, other than the trip to & from the store). Apple (in general) usually bends over backwards compared to many other companies when it comes to customer service.

Like "Clayneal" mentioned...logic board problems can be very complex to diagnose (especially over the internet).;) That's also why when the logic board is the problem...they are almost always replaced rather than repaired.

And it is not always 100% guaranteed that a replacement logic board will be 100% free from defects! "Stuff happens"!:(

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
So as it turns out there is a certified Apple repair shop in my area, and I left a little upset seeing how easily they got it running. I could have sworn I'd tried it, but it started with the battery taken out.

Now looking back at it, it's obvious that it overheated. They still have my computer, as I'd figured I'd let them run a few tests as it is included in the diagnosis fee. But what happened here guys? I guess I could have mislead everyone in mentioning the Logic board, but we all missed it.

Maybe overheating is a symptom of something much larger, but in the meantime, has anyone experienced this? Is the machine failing to boot essentially a ticket to the repair shop to ensure nothing was damaged? If, so is there a procedure to bypass it?

I could be way of, but I'd like to hear back from you guys.

Thanks again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Now looking back at it, it's obvious that it overheated. They still have my computer, as I'd figured I'd let them run a few tests as it is included in the diagnosis fee. But what happened here guys? I guess I could have mislead everyone in mentioning the Logic board, but we all missed it.

Maybe overheating is a symptom of something much larger, but in the meantime, has anyone experienced this? Is the machine failing to boot essentially a ticket to the repair shop to ensure nothing was damaged? If, so is there a procedure to bypass it?

What you described above and from your other posts, leads me to believe like the others, that the problem is again with the logic board. The Apple store more than likely replaced your original board with a refurbished one, which means one that had been repaired and certified OK.

Overheating could be caused by an improper application of heat sink compound or even a loose heat sink to the CPU assembly. If the machine did indeed overheat and then shutdown, that's not a good sign. The shutting down is to protect the CPU and other components from being destroyed but each time that it happens, it shortens the life of those same components.

Hopefully the repair shop you took it to will be able to correctly diagnose any faults and repair them.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now looking back at it, it's obvious that it overheated.

But what happened here guys? I guess I could have mislead everyone in mentioning the Logic board, but we all missed it.

What was really the point of mentioning this? We can only suggest ideas based on the information given. We are not sitting in front of your computer where we are able to see & touch it.

You never mentioned anything wrong with the battery...and at this point...I wouldn't start celebrating that the problem has 100% been found until you hear from the repair shop. And when you do hear from them...you better pray that that don't shock you with the repair bill!:(

So were you told why it started up ok without the battery? If the battery is operating correctly...there is no reason to believe that the battery is the source of the problem.

Also...I'm not sure I understand...why is it so obvious that your MBP overheated due to the battery...what's wrong with the battery that removing it (you think) solved all the problems???

Lastly. Since you already had the logic board replaced once...if a problem still exists and it is not logic board related (removing the battery)...why didn't the folks that replaced your logic board find the current problem (if it is not related to the replaced logic board)?

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
I owe you guys an apology. I just didn't understand why, with all the resources I had (you guys included), I wasn't able to start the machine and yet the apple technician plugged it in and it worked. So in all that is right, and in the name of progress. I'll put an end to this thread, in case anyone down the line has a similar problem.

As it turns out, when I'd purchased the laptop open boxed three years ago, and it didn't come with a power adapter. An employee scrambled to give me one which I now know belonged to a regular MacBook (60W MagSafe Power Adapter). And for three years it worked just fine, that is until I started WoW.

I've always kept an eye on my battery, and it always seemed handicapped.. reporting an unusually low capacity for it's cycle count. I guess what finally happened was the game drawing more power than both AC and battery could supply, and the poor battery was pretty well finished by that point.

And lastly, resolving the problem as to why they could start it so easily without the battery and I couldn't; the machine cannot run on AC alone with a 60 watt adapter. They had been using an 85 watt (the proper MacBook Pro adapter) and as it turns out it was the answer to all my problems.

Thanks a ton guys, there's still life in this beat down machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.