'N' Wireless

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking at getting a TC and the only thing i can see going for it over another make (netgear for example) is the capability of connection to my MBP at 'N speed'.

My question is, although the TC is a good thing to have for back up and to store my music on, is it really that much better than a standard wireless network, given the fact that 'N' is still only a draft.

Opinions appreciated.

Thanks all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
You can't plug an external drive into a typical router to make wireless backups of your Mac. It's a huge plus if you have a MacBook. Other than that, it's just a router and a wireless HD combined into a single package.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And there's not a single brand amongst the major manufacturers that do not make a 'n' router. Have not looked in awhile, but I'd think it would be harder to find a router that's been introduced in the last 2 years that does not have 'n' than to find one with it.

The TC is a nice piece of equipment and I have the 1 TB. If you plan on using Time Machine for your backup plan, it is very nice and convenient.

But, you can also just get a router and an external drive - I have this setup also. I actually prefer this, only because I prefer a bootable backup to Time Machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.