Messed Up Terminal Bash Please Help!

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I did something very noob like that I need help with. I was trying to run the Prolog compiler, gprolog, from GNU through terminal and could not get it to work. I found an article about adding executables to the system path and tried doing something described in the comments. The exact command that I entered was:

Code:
cat > ~/.profile
PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin/

I should have done a little more research before entering this but I did. After that came up, it allowed me to enter text and of course I entered a random set of characters. I didn't realize that these changed would stay after I restarted. Now all my terminal displays is:

Code:
Last login: Tue Oct 26 14:33:43 on ttys000
-bash: adsfasdfasdfhelp: command not found

[Process completed]

It will not allow me to enter any commands or type anything at all. And yes, I deleted the com.apple.Terminal.plist file but the problem still persists.

OP
R
Reaction score
Problem solved! I searched for my .profile using Onyx and edited it. Now everything works fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.