No sound from Imac

Reaction score
I have lost my internal speakers in my 6 month old Imac. In system prefs it only shows jawbone (bt) which works and headphones ( which are not plugged in and when plugged in do not work - changes to digital output) but no sound through headphones). Cannot get it to show internal speakers. At start up I do hear a very faint chime) Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have lost my internal speakers in my 6 month old Imac. In system prefs it only shows jawbone (bt) which works and headphones ( which are not plugged in and when plugged in do not work - changes to digital output) but no sound through headphones). Cannot get it to show internal speakers. At start up I do hear a very faint chime) Any thoughts?

Download SoundSource and run that. You'll get a headphone icon in the menubar. What does it show you as Output options, and for System options?

OP
W
Reaction score
Only shows Headphones and jawbone with headphones checked in both. yet no sound from headphones

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Only shows Headphones and jawbone with headphones checked in both. yet no sound from headphones

And when the headphones are unplugged and nothing else is plugged in, it still says Headphones? If so, you more than likely have a short related to that jack. Unfortunately I think you will have little choice but to give Apple a call.

OP
W
Reaction score
No headphones plugged in and even when I plug a set in there is still no sound coming from headphones. Time for a trip to Genius Bar I guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No headphones plugged in and even when I plug a set in there is still no sound coming from headphones. Time for a trip to Genius Bar I guess.

Yah. Unfortunately these things happen. My AV unit in the living room had a similar issue… it "thought" the headphones were plugged in and cut sound off to the speakers. I sent it in for repairs and the ticket indicated that a contact point had to be re-soldered. Hopefully Apple will fix you up in a jiffy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.