connect to wifi via terminal

Reaction score
i was wondering if there is a way to connect to a wireless network using the terminal. i think linux uses iwconfig but that doesnt work on os x. i know the bssid so if someone could help me out with the command, thanks

OP
N
Reaction score
b/c at my girlfriends house there are two ap's with the name linksys and both on the same channel. it will only allow me to connect to the one that has no internet and will not allow me to go to the other ap which has the internet. the only way to tell them the two are the bssid's. that maybe be confusing but thats why. :) and thanks for the response.

OP
N
Reaction score
just ran the commands that was excatly what i was looking for thanks a million :)

OP
N
Reaction score
ok im running into the same problem doing it manually. if there is 2 ap with the same name and one has a signal of 80 and the other one is 70 it always connects to the one with 80, regardless if i put in bssid or not. this is the command im using airport -A --associate --bssid 00:16:c8:d9:d0:90 --ssid UTAwireless. its a college so there are sever ap named utawireless. just like in the beginning two name linksys. but it always connects to the one with the best signal. is there away around this or am i just stuck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.