Problems with Comcast and Wireless

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
About a month ago we shut down something with the phone from verizon, and they shut down the internet. Until a few days ago we were mooching off a neighbor's wireless. On Wednesday (Xmas eve), Santa-in the form of a Comcast contractor-came and installed internet (15 MBPS) and phone (we already had Dig. Cable). Unfortunately although wired works fine (wire strait from modem to iMac) hooking up my linksys WRT54G screws it up-leaving my PC mooching still, and my PS3 unable to connect due to a seemingly weaker reciever, which ruins the point for me-as those are what I use (net is faster on my pc on my own network). Now as far as wired I can't wire my PC/PS3, so I should think most of the "getting ready" will be done on the mac and in the network closet.
So, point is I need to get wireless, but hooking up a router screws stuff up. Heres and overview of equipment (some repeating):
Router: Linksys WRT54g (Wireless G)
Internet: Comcast High Speed Cable (15mbps)
Need: Hook up wireless router

So, anyone know what I need to do? New router?
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Have you tried contacting comcast to get them to reset your modem.

After they do that, you can unplug your modem, and leave it for 20 mins, then try plugging everything back in and turning on the modem.

I had the same problem as you with my Airport Express, and the above fixed the issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Tried installing a wireless router with my comcast modem. Had to make the router clone the MAC address of the modem. Dunno if that's the problem here but that got mine to start working.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Thanks guys, I'll try those out right now.
If they work you probably won't hear anything-It's been way too long since I've played a Call of Duty online game, and I just got WaW, so co-op campaign (uhh, actually what comes after the campaign), and tanks in multiplayer.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a similar setup to yours, but have never had to do anything special to get my router to work with my Comcast modem. It should be as simple as connecting it to the router with an ethernet cable, then plugging the power in. The router should get its IP from the router. Then, it's just a matter of logging into the router and setting up wireless security and you're done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
You don't need to clone the MAC address. Simply reboot the modem after you have connected the router to it. The modem only marrys one device at a time, so you cannot disconnect the pc and plug in the router without rebooting modem.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
I tried those. I'm getting a new router anyway, and speaking of which, think this is a good router? Belkin N Wireless Router Router reviews - CNET Reviews

Is that good? I am on a bit of a budget, so if it's not and you have a suggestion, please bear that in mind (I'd say up to $150, but really more $100 and less is best). Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm not keen on Belkins, but others have had positive things to say about theirs.

I have a D-Link DIR-655, which is one of the top rated 802.11n routers and couldn't be happier with it. Prior to that, I had a Linksys WRT54GL, which was a very good unit as well and lasted me for over 5 years.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Right, well I just got the router, so hopefully It'll work. The guy at BestBuy didn't seem to think there's be a problem, but that probably wasn't the most professional opinion. Well, after dinner I'll plug in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
It'l work fine.

Make sure to enable wpa security.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.