need help installing windows

Reaction score
I am a student who is allowed to download Microsoft software via MSDN Academic Alliance Software Center. I never needed to run windows on my mac before but I am learning how to use 3Ds Max and it is only available on Windows OS. When I download the file that is windows 7 I get some thing that only opens a text edit file (Downloader_for_Windows_7_Pro_RTM_x64_en.exe) when I double click I get a text file and nothing happens. I am not sure if this is an upgrade and I need to be running windows already to install the download or I am doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated I am falling behind in these classes since I cannot run the software at home and I live an hour from campus.

Reaction score
What you are getting is a windows executable file, not Windows itself, which of course you need some form of Windows to run. This means it's probably an upgrade. What you need is either a .ISO file or the next time you are on campus, try to pick up a Windows install disk from your school.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As Sammy stated, you need a Windows machine to run that file. Once the file is executed, it will start the download for Win 7 Pro 64 bit from the MSDN software repository. The download will need to be burned to a DVD. Then, you can install it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
You can try using a virtual machine like Parallels or VMWare Fusion and installing Windows on it then opening the Downloader_for_Windows_7_Pro_RTM_x64_en.exe) file.

Reaction score
That doesn't really help him - it will work but to get there he has to install some version of Windows 7, which is what he's trying to avoid by using the download from his uni. Best bet is to get a disk from the school.

OP
J
Reaction score
thank you for advice

Thanks for all the advice. To bad nothing alerted me to the posts, I have it running now, yeah I never needed the disk, could have burned a disc at school or at a friends then installed it directly on boot camp

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.