78 rpm to cd with macbook pro

Reaction score
I'm a newby. Have many old 78 rpm records I want to copy to CD using my Macbook Pro. I have a turn table with USB and analog out. (1) Should I use USB or let the Mac digitize? (2) Does my standard Mac have software for this task? (3) Also want to add text at to Artist, Genra, Title, Date, etc. Is that offered? Since I have about 30 hours of music, I ain;t going to do this task in one setting. Any ideas? Suggestions welcomed. RFROBINS :)

[email protected]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You can use the USB input or the line in (via the headphone jack) on your Mac. My preference would be USB though.
Software wise, you will need something like Audacity (which is free) or Audio Hijack Pro (which isn't, but is very good and has some useful plug ins).
As for adding the correct tagging, AHP allows you to do this before making a recording, I'm not sure about Audacity, I haven't used it for this task.
One thing to note though, you will have to split the tracks manually, so it is a case of either sitting there and doing it as you record, or going through later and doing it (much harder).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Audacity is more than enough. I've used it to digitise cassette tapes. It works well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.