Mini and Air Internet sharing not visible in Lion

Reaction score
I've got 2 Mac minis, an 11 inch air, a MacBook and an iPad.

One Mini and the Air have been upgraded to Lion, the other 2 are snow leopard.

When I want to use my iPad via wifi, or sync bento, I usually click system preferences, sharing, Internet sharing, and select airport.

In lion, the airport box has been replaced by wifi, so I select it instead.

The 2 machines running Lion are no longer visible to my iPad, or the other 2 snow leopard computers. They can pick up wifi signals, but don't appear to be sending any.

Is there some new setting I'm overlooking or is this a lion bug? It's frustrating because, like I said, I sync bento with one of the machines (the air).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There should not be any need to use Internet Sharing to sync Bento - "assuming" that all of your devices are on the same home network.

Open up Bento on the iPad - Open up Bento on the computer - and if they're on the same network - you should then be able to sync. And this would be the case if they're all going through the same router for internet access.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll give BENTO a try that way. I was under the impression that it was a wifi sync only thing.

As for internet sharing, my ipad still does not see my computers running Lion. I updated them both and still nothing. My older mini running Snow Leopard shows up as normal. as do all my neighbor's devices.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you have nothing shared on those computers, then nothing would show up.

It is a wifi sync. Do you not have wifi turned on in your iPad? Does it have internet access? If it does, you are on wifi. Do all of your computers gain access to the internet from the same router - whether wired or wireless? Then they are all on the same network already.

OP
K
Reaction score
I should be more clear. I don't have wireless internet at home, all wired. No real network set up.

If I want to go online with my ipad (wifi, no 3G), or use an app requiring an internet connection, I have to turn one of my computers into a wifi hot spot by turning on internet sharing like in this video:
Turning your Mac into a Wi-Fi hotspot - YouTube
Notice in the video it says "airport", now it says wifi in Lion. When I'd click all this, my computer would show up on my ipad as wifi connection. It would read "[my names]'s Mac Mini" or "[my names]'s Macbook Air".

Now, since switching to lion...nothing. No signal. I pick up my other snow leopard running macs and my neighborhood devices, but not my Lion running Macs.

Wondering if there is an extra thing that needs to be clicked in Lion, or is it some kind of bug.

OP
K
Reaction score
Bumping this thread up. I still have no internet sharing with my Lion machines. I'm at a loss.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.