External Monitor Issue

Reaction score
Hello all, first time poster, long time browser. I've been a mac user for years, but I recently upgraded to a new mbp(15" 2.66) and am having an issue with it.

Whenever I plug the monitor adapter into the computer when the computer is on, it shuts off the computer. Shuts off, not shuts down. It completely kills it.

It is the correct adapter, I have tried multiple adapters and multiple monitors, it does it 90% of the time. Almost like touching two speaker wires together kills an a/v receiver.

After it reboots, everything is fine, it runs the monitors fine, there are no problems. It's always when I first plug it in, not when I try to wiggle it or unplug it.

Thoughts? The computer is about 3 months old.

Reaction score
Hello all, first time poster, long time browser. I've been a mac user for years, but I recently upgraded to a new mbp(15" 2.66) and am having an issue with it.

Whenever I plug the monitor adapter into the computer when the computer is on, it shuts off the computer. Shuts off, not shuts down. It completely kills it.

It is the correct adapter, I have tried multiple adapters and multiple monitors, it does it 90% of the time. Almost like touching two speaker wires together kills an a/v receiver.

After it reboots, everything is fine, it runs the monitors fine, there are no problems. It's always when I first plug it in, not when I try to wiggle it or unplug it.

Thoughts? The computer is about 3 months old.

Different monitors and different adaptors? Kind of like touching two speaker wires together kills an A/V receiver?
Are you waiting for the loud 60Hz humming sound?

Something's wrong on the MBP logic board.
Take it back. Three months old so it should be under warrantee.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.