Urgent, Help Me Regarding Keyboard. Please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS x 10.5.2
So last night I was happily typing away on my Keyboard when, all of a sudden, it just stopped responding. I thought it was just one of those things that happens so I tried to reboot to see if it would fix the issue. Since then I've rebooted well over 20 times, to no prevail.

NOTHING about the keyboard works, in fact it's not even found when I reboot, it keeps searching. And it is most definitely plugged in via USB. :/

This sucks. I'm having to use my old computer, running Ubuntu, to post this here message.

I know power is going into the keyboard cause when I plug the mouse into one of the USB slots on it, it lights up. it does not respond but the light underneath acts like normal.

This is the new Aluminium Apple Keyboard that came out in 2007 btw. (Wired)

I have all Apple Software updates and I'm running 10.5.2 on an intel iMac.

HELP ME :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Is the keyboard plugged directly in to the computer and NOT through a HUB?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS x 10.5.2
Yes. It's plugged in, directly.

It's had no reason to stop working. I've not split anything on it or anything like that.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS x 10.5.2
Getting tedious now. Been trying to fix this for almost 2 days now.
It's annoying how it's done this just a few days after the Warranty expires too.

I did have some work I was due to finish for today, that's out of the window now too. :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
A few debugging questions:

1/ Do you have any other USB keyboards, Mac or otherwise, that you could plug in to see if they at least work?

2/ Have you tried plugging it into different USB ports to see if that makes a difference?

3/ Can you plug any other USB peripheral (perhaps a mouse) into the same USB port that the keyboard isn't working in and get that other peripheral to work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do as mac57 has suggested as it is not unknown for a software update to cause USB problems, and get back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm thinking different... iMac, Macbook, iPod Touch, 10.5 - Leopard
On screen keyboard work?

Reaction score
One Small Question

How do i turn back on my number pad I noticed it wasn't working and i've been searching the internet for the answer. Please Help. Thanks

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS x 10.5.2
A few debugging questions:

1/ Do you have any other USB keyboards, Mac or otherwise, that you could plug in to see if they at least work?

2/ Have you tried plugging it into different USB ports to see if that makes a difference?

3/ Can you plug any other USB peripheral (perhaps a mouse) into the same USB port that the keyboard isn't working in and get that other peripheral to work?
All the USB Slots work. I'd already tested them all with an optical Mouse.
They just don't work with the Keyboard.

And no, I don't have another USB Keyboard handy.

On screen keyboard works fine.

I've posted over on Apple's Support Forums where a PRAM Reset was mentioned or something. Only issue is, I only know how to do that by resetting and holding down certain keys. isn't there a terminal command to run that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Sounds like a faulty keyboard. Did you just get it?

sora select numlock on your keyboard

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS x 10.5.2
Sounds like a faulty keyboard. Did you just get it?

sora select numlock on your keyboard
No. It's JUST passed it's Warranty by like 2 weeks. :/

It's not even recognised when I reboot. It keeps trying to search for a Bluetooth Keyboard.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS x 10.5.2
Infact, I do have another USB based Keyboard but it's a a Microsoft Media Centre Infrared one. Any way I could just get that working instead?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
I am assuming that Microsoft Keyboard is a wireless one... right?

If its the one I am thinking about it should work just fine with the iMac. Just plug in the Receiver into the iMac and see what happens. I had one of those hooked to my MacBook before and it worked with no issues.

Let us know what happens.

Good Luck

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS x 10.5.2
I am assuming that Microsoft Keyboard is a wireless one... right?

If its the one I am thinking about it should work just fine with the iMac. Just plug in the Receiver into the iMac and see what happens. I had one of those hooked to my MacBook before and it worked with no issues.

Let us know what happens.

Good Luck
I plug it in. It lights up as I Type. But nothing happens, it did this the first time I tried it. Which Keyboard did you have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had this one
8318974_sa.jpg

Now I am getting the feeling it might be a software issue rather than Hardware. I know when I was setting up my Dad's new iMac there was a Firmware update for the Aluminum Keyboard, did u have that downloaded or not?

Also did u have any recent USB peripherals added on to your computer that required you to download extra drivers?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS x 10.5.2
I had this one
8318974_sa.jpg

Now I am getting the feeling it might be a software issue rather than Hardware. I know when I was setting up my Dad's new iMac there was a Firmware update for the Aluminum Keyboard, did u have that downloaded or not?

Also did u have any recent USB peripherals added on to your computer that required you to download extra drivers?
I had all updates. And everything was working fine. it just stopped, mid typing.

Let me go find a Photo of the IR Keyboard I have, I've never been able to get it to work. :/

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS x 10.5.2
This is it. It came with an IR USB receiver.
The light on the USB receiver lights up when I type but no writing appears on screen. This isn't a recent issue related to my Apple Keyboard, it's just never worked with my Mac.

ms_mce_remote_keyboard.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well... I have another ideal.

you said you have another computer running Linux, yes?

Why not take the Apple Keyboard and plug it to the one and see what happens. In theory there should be issues with compatibility, but at least you'd get to know if the keyboard is defective or not.

Let me know

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is it. It came with an IR USB receiver.
The light on the USB receiver lights up when I type but no writing appears on screen. This isn't a recent issue related to my Apple Keyboard, it's just never worked with my Mac.

ms_mce_remote_keyboard.jpg

Duuudeee, thats a pretty massive Keyboard. It would distract the heck out of me :D

Try plugging the Apply KB in the other PC and see what happens.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS x 10.5.2
Duuudeee, thats a pretty massive Keyboard. It would distract the heck out of me :D

Try plugging the Apply KB in the other PC and see what happens.
Massive as in big? it's the same size as the apple Keyboard. :/

And I've already tried the Apple Keyboard on the Linux. It doesn't recognise it, nor does my PS3 or my Laptop (Windows).

Don't suppose there are any IR keyboard Drivers for the Mac?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.