Using hotmail as defualt email

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm using firefox and safari as my internet browsers. Every time I want to email someone, that uses a direct link on their website, the "Mail" program starts up. The problem is I use hotmail and don't have a .Mac account. How do I set it so that when i click on these links it directs me to my hotmail account?

Thanks!

M

MacHeadCase

*Moved thread to appropriate forum - Question not on OS X but email apps*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac base
I'm far from an expert but, I found that using the free hotmail account you can no longer use it directly through the mail app (or Windows programs). I personally am phasing out hotmail because of all their nosense with that. You can configure gmail, and many others, to work with Mail though and they are lots better than hotmail anyway.

OP
L
Reaction score
^^^
Well is there anyway to get away from mail all together? I have a Laptop running windows, but also using Firefox and it's able to link on those email address links and got to the hotmail login page. The problem is i don't remember how I set that up anymore. Plus I'm not even sure I can set it up like that for a mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
well you can use this plugin to send and receive emails form your hotmail account through mail. i used this for a year or so but finally decided to go mac with all my computers and get an iphone so a .mac was going to be easier and i switched.

i want to mention a couple of things about that plugin though :

1. i was never able to find a way to remove it. not saying it cant be done but i couldnt figure it out.

2. DO NOT "upgrade" install Leopard with that installed as it will cause you to never be able to get mail to open

3. it did really work well for me except it does not (or at the time i was using it) "delete from server". all this means is that form time to time i had to actually go to my account online and delete a few pages of emails. it will not keep pulling the same email though so this isnt that bad.

i found that very useful and it made dealing with things like your talking about a lot better.

hope that helps

good luck

OP
L
Reaction score
^^^

Thanks fletch.

Wat's the big deal with mail??? is it that much better than hotmail?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac base
With staying with hotmail I don't know. You could use the google desktop.
http://desktop.google.com/mac/features.html I don't know if you can configure it to be default so it would open if you click a "mail to" link though. Personally I really don't like hotmail anymore. I like the way gmail organizes messages much better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
^^^

Thanks fletch.

Wat's the big deal with mail??? is it that much better than hotmail?

well mail is the built in mail client for osx and i think i have tried them all at some point and i personally like mail the best. there are some things i miss from outlook (entourage even 2008 doesnt even compare) but after i made the switched to mac and tried a lot of mail clients i picked mail.

good luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.