simple DW mx problems (linking, css)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
I'm using a copy of DW mx from my company. It's been previously loaded on windows computers, but was built for MAC and Windows. AND, it wouldn't let me register it on my Mac, but would let me on my PC. I'm trying to figure that one out...

On my Mac, I can't seem to link pages that are in the same site folder. When I try to check the links in the browser I get a "no file exists at the address /..." message. And it also automatically is changing the formatting of the linked text even though I tried to override it in page properties.

Additionally, when I create a new css, and try to apply it, I'm getting a coding/html window and I can't figure out how that's supposed to apply the style.

Are these problems b/c this copy of DW was already installed on Windows? I've got a call into my IT person, but I'm not too high on the priority list since they are letting my have it as a favor, it's not part of my main job resposibilities to do web design.

TIA,

Reaction score
Did you set your site up as a Dreamweaver site inside the program or as Dreamweaver calls it a "Managed Site." When using the program each site has to have its own folder and if you do not do that the program will get confused and screw up your sites (speaking from experience).

When applying a CSS style, you highlight the text and then in the properties box you want the drop down by the word "style" and all your classes(styles) will be listed there. If you have an external CSS file you have to link it to the document 1st then you can choose your class for the text.

If done of that helps try uninstalling Dreamweaver from this computer and reinstall it.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, how do I know if I created the site in DW? I actually downloaded the pages from the site onto my Mac. I had originally created them on my PC and did "get" to get them onto the Mac. I went into site, then manage site and entered all my local and remote info and sucessfully connected to my server. All the files are together in the following place on my hard disk: sites, local sites, (name of site). When I put, it looks like it's working, but nothing actually changes.

It sounds like I was doing the CSS the way you described, but when I followed your steps it seems to work better. Thanks. Now, should that override the changes that the links are making?

Reaction score
Okay, how do I know if I created the site in DW? I actually downloaded the pages from the site onto my Mac. I had originally created them on my PC and did "get" to get them onto the Mac. I went into site, then manage site and entered all my local and remote info and sucessfully connected to my server. All the files are together in the following place on my hard disk: sites, local sites, (name of site). When I put, it looks like it's working, but nothing actually changes.

It sounds like I was doing the CSS the way you described, but when I followed your steps it seems to work better. Thanks. Now, should that override the changes that the links are making?

Yes, you want your files to be managed by DW, like what you did.

I don't like DW's FTP part because sometimes it overrides what's on the HD instead of the server. I would find a free FTP program for your mac and upload your site that way.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't like DW's FTP part because sometimes it overrides what's on the HD instead of the server. I would find a free FTP program for your mac and upload your site that way.

Ah, I think that answers a question I started on another thread! Thanks. I've been trying to "put" unsucessfully for a few days.

Do you recommend any particular free programs?

TIA again!

Reaction score
Ah, I think that answers a question I started on another thread! Thanks. I've been trying to "put" unsucessfully for a few days.

Do you recommend any particular free programs?

TIA again!

I am a (windows) user right now and I hope to be a MAC user very soon. I would search google for free ftp programs for macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.