Problems with external hard disk permissions.

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 40GB external hard drive that I used on a Windows PC once upon a time.

At the moment I only have Macs and when I try to save to this hard drive I cant. I have ctrl clicked on the drive and selected get info and here is my result:

Picture1.png

Seems to me that the permissions are set to read only (obviously!).
Is there any way that I can change this?

I know its formatted as NTFS... how can I change this?

Just to let you all know, there is no information on the drive that I need.

Thanks

OP
I
Reaction score
Can anyone help me out on this one or perhaps instruct me on a better location for this post so that I can get some help?

OP
I
Reaction score
Still not having any luck... the external drive is not showing up in the list. I have double checked everything and it is connected and mounted.

M

MacHeadCase

Mac OS X cannot write to a NTFS volume, that much I know. It will read off of it but cannot put files on it.

This Mac OSXHints article might help, 10.4: An overview of NTFS support in Tiger. In there it says how to format it in HFS+ if this is what you want. It is an old article (when Tiger came out) so hope it still is of interest.

OP
I
Reaction score
Mac OS X cannot write to a NTFS volume, that much I know. It will read off of it but cannot put files on it.

This Mac OSXHints article might help, 10.4: An overview of NTFS support in Tiger. In there it says how to format it in HFS+ if this is what you want. It is an old article (when Tiger came out) so hope it still is of interest.

Thanks for that MHC. I've been so so busy lately with work/exams etc. But as soon as I get a chance I'll take a look ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.