Won't let me rename

Reaction score
I have run into a bit of a problem using iTunes. Every now and then i come to a mispelled file and it won't let me rename it for some reason. I check the info on the file and set all the permisions to read/write, but for some reason it refuses to let me rename the file itself. I can change its name in iTunes ok, but not the actual file. Anyone know why, and what can i do to change the file name itself?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
what format is it? was it bought in ITMS?

OP
James
Reaction score
Macman said:
what format is it? was it bought in ITMS?

It is in the mp3 format done at 128. It is a rip of an old 33 1/3 record. Plays just fine, but for some reason i can not change the name of the file. I am thinking of letting iTunes convert it to a mp4a and see if I can edit that...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
is it locked? if not, Im not sure, but send me the file and Ill see if theres a problem. view my profile for my email.

OP
James
Reaction score
Macman said:
is it locked? if not, Im not sure, but send me the file and Ill see if theres a problem. view my profile for my email.

No, it wasn't locked in any way, just for some strange reason it would not let me rename the actual file itself. I ran across about 6 or 7 files that would not let me rename them that day.

However, today I go back and look at the files, and now i can rename them.. I GOT SPOOKS!...(G) All I can think is I got a glitch somewhere that went away after a reboot...(Memories of the PC world where a reboot cured a lot of things)... :(

Thanks for the offer to look at the files...

OP
James
Reaction score
Darn if it didn't do it again today, and rebooting solved the problem again for awhile, then it did it again, again a reboot fixed it... I don't think it is an iTunes thing as i had another window open to the files and it wasn't letting me change it there....Have i found a quirk/bug of OS X?

How about it some of you old timers with OS X...does it sometimes lock a file and refuse to let you edit/rename it until you reboot? Sure seems that way...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.