safari browser not opening online banking sites....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
anyone else have an issue with safari not being able to open online banking site? I can load the inro page (CIBC.com) but safari craps out when I try to sign on. anyone else have this issue? any work arounds?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Try downloading Firefox or Camino and try it with one of those browsers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
My bank won't let me sign in with the Safari 3 beta (they say they need to test and approve a browser as secure before they'll allow you to use it), but I've never had a problem with Safari 2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
IF you have the Safari Debug menu enabled, you can tell Safari to tell Websites that it is a different browser. This works 9 time out of 10.

I find it a bit ironic that Banks are questioning Safari 3 for security, but if you go to the site with IE 5 on a PC.....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
anyone else have an issue with safari not being able to open online banking site? I can load the inro page (CIBC.com) but safari craps out when I try to sign on. anyone else have this issue? any work arounds?

With a lot of banks the browser has to be in their database or they will not allow you to log in to online banking. Wells Fargo is that way, but they do fully support Safari. I would check with your bank. In the mean time like was already stated, try Firefox or Camino for now. Opera should work also, but FF is usually always supported. The info above came from the IT people at Wells Fargo.

Edit: Agreed Baggss! Makes no sense. Some banks take their sweet time to add a browser though. Safari 2 should work. That Debug menu trick just might work.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And also might want to try logging in as a different user. Am not able to log into my bank at all and they fully support only Safari and IE. Found someone fairly knowledgeable with OS X on their support staff and a no go.

However, if I log out and and back in as a new user I set up, I can log in via Safari, Opera, and Firefox. Have not been able to determine what user settings I may have that are preventing it yet. And to be honest, as often as I log into the bank, it's not really worth the time of troubleshooting vs switching users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I just tried www.cibc.com and it works for me no problem (Safari 2). I also do a lot of online banking with 2 different banks, and they also work flawlessly as well.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Bobtomay: It might be a security certificate issue. Can you access other https:// websites with that user in Safari?

Try going to this website - can you load it?
https://www.equinux.com/eqnetwork/store/index.html

Yep, it loads fine. Haven't had any issue with secure check out at other sites either. My bank is the only one and have never been able to log onto it from my user account. My wife can log onto it from her MacBook also. Bound to be something I changed early on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Check to see if you have disabled Java & Javascript in Safari Prefs.
No problems here online banking with Safari 3. Won't work without Java though :)

M

MacHeadCase

Here too we do our online banking with Safari. The Tiger version, not the Safari 3 beta though.

SH7

Reaction score
similar issue - its not prob with browsers. Its prob with Mac accounts settings

I have been having the same issue with Macbook pro. I cannot login to bank sites through Safari or Google Chrome from my default mac account. I am able to login to these bank sites from my Guest account. Not sure what settings I need to do. I have tried everything on resetting the safari totally. nothing worked.

And also might want to try logging in as a different user. Am not able to log into my bank at all and they fully support only Safari and IE. Found someone fairly knowledgeable with OS X on their support staff and a no go.

However, if I log out and and back in as a new user I set up, I can log in via Safari, Opera, and Firefox. Have not been able to determine what user settings I may have that are preventing it yet. And to be honest, as often as I log into the bank, it's not really worth the time of troubleshooting vs switching users.

C

chas_m

You're responding to a thread from five years ago.

If you can login to your bank using Safari from a guest account, then the problem clearly isn't Safari (or Chrome), the problem lies with some plug-in you're using (maybe Flash?).

You'll also need to be more specific than "can't login" in explaining exactly what's stopping you if you want a detailed answer.

SH7

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. When I enter my user ID and password, it goes to secure pop up page and it stays white... Nothing loads up. Sometimes it says its loading and never does but stays white.

If you can login to your bank using Safari from a guest account, then the problem clearly isn't Safari (or Chrome), the problem lies with some plug-in you're using (maybe Flash?).

You'll also need to be more specific than "can't login" in explaining exactly what's stopping you if you want a detailed answer.

SH7

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your help! It definetly was the Flash Plugin! I cleared all the existing data and history in the flash plugin and now I can browse my bank websites like before. This really helped me!!! Thankss!!!!!

C

chas_m

Glad you sorted it out. I just put you on the path, you did the work. Congrats to YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.