Password Prompts and iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OS X 10.11.5; iPad2 (8.1.2-12B440); New iPad; MS-Office for Mac 2011 (14.5.5)
Dear Mac Users,

as a proud owner of a brand new iMac (OS X, 10.7.2) I am still organising to change from PC to my Mac.

Two rather banal points I cannot solve:

1) In settings (Security->General) I un-clicked "Require Password after sleep or screen saver begins", yet these prompts come up every time after sleep. How to get rid of them.

2) I guess I can transfer old files from my PC with a separate HD (or maybe a LAN cable). But what about the transfer of iTunes library with music, books, apps, playlists, etc.?

Thank you so much.

Felix

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Dear Mac Users,

as a proud owner of a brand new iMac (OS X, 10.7.2) I am still organising to change from PC to my Mac.

Welcome to the Forums and to Mac OS X!

1) In settings (Security->General) I un-clicked "Require Password after sleep or screen saver begins", yet these prompts come up every time after sleep. How to get rid of them.

More likely than not, the file that stores this preference is corrupt. It could also be some weird permissions issue. I'm going to recommend a couple free tools to download. These will be very useful down the road for any issues you may have.

Onyx
EasyFind

First, use Onyx to repair permissions. This probably won't be the fix, but it's more foolproof to try first.

If that fails, you'll need to delete the preference file that store that option. It's found in you user Library, but since Apple has rather foolishly seen fit to hide that Library from us in Lion, I'm going to recommend using EasyFind to simply search for it more easily. That file is com.apple.screensaver.plist

You will find it located in yourhomefolder/Library/Preferences
Delete it, or move it to your Desktop. Then log out. When you log back in, OS X will recreate a virgin copy of that file. Hopefully that will fix that.

2) I guess I can transfer old files from my PC with a separate HD (or maybe a LAN cable). But what about the transfer of iTunes library with music, books, apps, playlists, etc.?

It's probably simplest to use the Windows Migration Assistant.
iTunes: How to move your music to a new computer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.