Movie download size question....

Reaction score
I downloaded "Flightplan" from the iTunes store and the size of the file says a little over 1GB. How can this be when the size of the TS_video files from ripping and backing up the actual DVD using Mac the Ripper & DVD2One usually comes out much larger? It would seem alot would be lost by this much condensing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
farmcock said:
It would seem alot would be lost by this much condensing.

Yep.

That's why Apple says "near DVD-quality".

Jem

Reaction score
As surfwax says, it's only "near DVD quality" but considering that the apple store is doing 640 x 480 and DVDs are 768 x 480 (NTSC) that's only a very small part of the size difference.

Of course, size ain't everything - DVD format is MPEG-2 which is not the most efficient codec for movies these days. If you take a DVD and encode it to the same resolution DivX AVI file (MPEG-4) it will typically reduce down to under 1GB. This actually results in an almost identical looking movie. What codec are the downloads? Is it H.264?

Another thing that takes up a great deal of space is the DTS and DD5.1 soundtracks - you'd be looking at 400MB+ of audio data on a DVD for a single 5.1 sound mix. I don't know what iTunes does for audio (?) but even if it was AC3 encoded 5.1 surround sound it would be a little over half the size of the DVD original soundtrack.

Then there's the "extras" that you don't get...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 2Ghz 20", MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz 13"
I bet they're encoded H.264. Jem described it pretty well, all those things to take into account for will greatly reduce the size.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.