Finder / Login Problems

Reaction score
Hello there. I've been looking at multiple forums and haven't even encountered this problem, let alone located an answer.

I have a MacBook Pro which I purchased in the summer of last year. I still have Tiger 4. something on it. I believe it is .4, but I really am not sure.

I turn on the laptop just fine. The login screen pops up, I put in my password. Finder starts to load. But then, the colourful progress wheel pops up, which it has done before, but then Finder still does not load.

Sometimes my Dock and the icons on my desktop appears, but then I literally get booted back to the login screen.

I have tried logging in on Safe Mode, and I get the same problem. I do not know where my disks are (or even if I got them in the first place).

I have all of my course notes on my laptop, so I really want an alternative option to completely killing my computer.

Thanks kindly!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
You will need the install disks to save the machine I think. Your first shot should be to fix the permissions and if you cannot get to the finder then you will need a retail (Black disk) DVD and restart with the DVD in using it to restart (hold down the c button).

OP
I
Reaction score
I have tried the fix that you have suggested, and while it now allows me to log on, I cannot open any application that is not an official Apple one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.