El Gato's EYE TV

G

GSMarquis

Has anyone had any expereince with elgato softwares "eye tv".....i was thinking about a TIVO and the TIVO nic so i could suck off all of my saved shows and burn them to vcd/svcd, or dvd's. Then i got a email about the "eye tv"....which will do the same thing, but will only encode in mpg1 not mpeg2. Any thoughts?

i got my eye tv info from: www.elgato.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
I have a Tivo, it is in my living room. It is one of the best things I have ever purchased. I would highly recommend one, and would accept nothing else in it's place. That said...

I would get this EyeTV as an interface to my Mac's in the office. This would be great to watch live TV, and possibly record special shows that I would watch while doing other things. I believe this is what it is intended to do.

These are of course two different things. There is no substitute for a Tivo. But I can definitely see getting one of these if the G5 I have in mind works out. :) Watch live TV in a window while surfing the net. Quite cool. Even cooler is to have a 50" DLP monitor in the living room with the wireless bluetooth keyboard and mouse :)

Good dreams tonite :)

OP
G

GSMarquis

I also was looking at a www.formac.com "studio tvr" which is the same as a "eye tv" but it records in 720x480 30fps instead of 320x240 29.97 fps. Also the studio tvr is a firewire device for more speed which i think is what grants it the higher fps and quality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Last time I checked, the Formac was VERY expensive. It is probably worth it though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.