2 Questions

Reaction score
I bought a external drive which is 320 Gb how come i connect it "Get Info" n its only 291? And how does time machine work, meaning does it keep taking up more n more space overtime, if not then how much total does it take up at once? THNX ALOT.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Time Machine will eventually fill the drive, then start deleting the oldest back ups to make room for new ones.

You lose some drive space to formatting... not sure how much though, but for example I have a 160GB drive, 137GB of which I can actually use.

OP
A
Reaction score
Time Machine will eventually fill the drive, then start deleting the oldest back ups to make room for new ones.

You lose some drive space to formatting... not sure how much though, but for example I have a 160GB drive, 137GB of which I can actually use.
i guess i rather not use time machine then, cuz i really got the drive for music n movies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 inch
once you lose a drive you will wish you had time machine or some other backup system. I lost one in 1987 and i am still looking for it (not really!!) O:)

OP
A
Reaction score
once you lose a drive you will wish you had time machine or some other backup system. I lost one in 1987 and i am still looking for it (not really!!) O:)
I bought this harddrive for $150 dont really feel like using it on something i might never need. I understand if i was able to set up time machine so that it takes up a certain amount of space like 15 gb or something but seeing how it goes till it fills up the drive, No Thanks.

OP
A
Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind seeing a preference available within the preference pane that allows you to constrain Time Machine to a maximum amount of space on the disk rather than just sucking up the entire partition

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I bought this harddrive for $150 dont really feel like using it on something i might never need. I understand if i was able to set up time machine so that it takes up a certain amount of space like 15 gb or something but seeing how it goes till it fills up the drive, No Thanks.

Well basically it's backing up your whole HDD and for whatever reason if it fails on you at least you will have all your files and applications from before the HDD failed.

If you don't want to back up your HDD that's your prerogative. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 PowerMac Dual 2.3 GHz 8GB DDR2 SDRAM Os X 10.4.11
I can understand not wanting to use the entire disk. I am just wondering... can you partition the external hard drive and specifiy within Time Mahine to only use that partition? Or will it just let you select a drive?

I cannot understand, however, not wanting to back up. I'd buy another drive just to use as a back up. They are so cheap now - it's unbelievable how cheap they are.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, you could just partition part of the drive for Time Machine could you not? To stop it taking up the whole drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 PowerMac Dual 2.3 GHz 8GB DDR2 SDRAM Os X 10.4.11
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15GB isn't really enough, unless you only have 10GB of data on that computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.