Something has taken over my computer

Reaction score
I have a MacBook pro running the latest version of lion. It had been sitting on my counter and when I went to turn on some music, the mouse pointer was moving by itself. It opened safari, checked the bookmarks, then started clicking on links. I just sat there watching it for a minute to try and figure out what was going on. It then opened Firefox and chrome and was browsing the Internet. Clicking on different links. It was like someone in a remote location was using my computer. I got freaked out and shut it down.

I didn't have sharing on and haven't downloaded anything on the Internet for quite some time. It took a long time to reboot but that could be because i just did a quick shut down. Any idea what this could be about?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It almost sounds like Remote Desktop is turned on and someone with another Mac is using it. Will let others comment as I have never seen that happen no matter what crazy stuff I have done.

Anyone else live in your house and have a Mac and is on your network?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I didn't have sharing on

Confirm that is indeed the case by going to the Preferences->Sharing and confirm that screen sharing is indeed turned off. If not, do so and you should be good.

Also do you have other computers on your network? Do you have a wireless network that is not protected by a WPA2 key?

OP
D
Reaction score
I already checked sharing

The only sharing I have on in the preferences is file because I sometimes use it to transfer to my other computer. Everything else is unchecked. I have one other computer on my network but I checked that one and noting weird was happening. My wifi network is password protected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
It wasn't playing back some activity recorded on screen using Quick Time was it?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Check your router logs for any connections that are unfamiliar.

How is your network password protected (WEP, WPA, WPA2)? Have you changed the password since this happened? If not, it wouldn't hurt.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.