Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
The folder with the flashing question mark implies that your mac cannot find the Operating System Files. Did you do anything recently to move or delete them? It could also be a Hard Disk Failure. What OS are you running?

Welcome to Mac-Forums!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MacBook, iPod Nano
Hi, I'm having the same issue but we haven't moved any files. I woke up this morning and it was frozen. So I turned off the computer and turned it back on to find a white screen with a folder/question mark. Does this mean we've lost all of our files etc.?

Reaction score
Try booting up holding the Option key as you hear the Chime and see what booting options show up there. If you see the HD then choose it and you should be able to reboot from your internal HD .... hopefully, that is.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
hey, there have been several people in the last month with this problem (including me, unfortunately). Search the forum for "flashing question folder."
My recommendation: if you've heard clicking from your HD, don't boot your computer, or try to "repair your drive" until you try to backup your data in Target Disk mode (search for that too). Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Another trick from the past. If you cannot get the drive to start spinning and you have exhausted everything normal, try sticking the drive into the freezer for a short period. Never had to but I read it did allow the drive to spin up and allow a backup and salvage of data.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.