Booting Windows Installation Problem!

Reaction score
Hey, my problem is this. I've been running Windows XP SP2 on a bootcamp partition for a good 2 months now, playing all my windows 3D games etc etc. When ive needed to use OSX i just pressed ALT at start and switched. Its now ive come across a problem which i dont understand, i turned on my mac one morning just like i would any other morning and booted up windows only when it started up it came to the "we appologize" etc etc screen and asked to run windows normal, safe mode and all that, ive tryed all these and all will start to load windows then go onto the dreaded BLUE screen and die basically.. ALSO i then thought well ill just repair the installation but now when i insert the SAME disk i used to install windows it just goes to a black screen with a little line flashing in top left corner..?? PLEASE HELP!!?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like something may have corrupted the partition. If you can't boot to XP with the installation CD to do a repair or you're not seeing the XP installer start, there's not a whole lot you can do.

I'm assuming the file system is NTFS? Can you read any of your Windows files\folders from OS X? Can you even "see" the Windows partition from
OS X?

Post back and let us know. We can go from there to figure something out.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes its NTFS and yeah i can see my partition, i would be able to back up data i need too i suppose like game save files but if i can get it back working it would be a heck of alot better because it means i would have to reinstall windows plus all the programs and games i had on my windows partition

Reaction score
I wonder if this has something to do with a Leopard OS update. I installed windows XP fine, then on another system 2 months later the same cd just gives me a flashing cursor before the installer boots.

OP
T
Reaction score
I found the reason for my problem but thanks anyway. The reason was id recently bought a 2gb stick of ram from PC world, now even tho windows didn't play up as soon as i put it in, ive took it out and now with just my original 1gb it works! Plus i tryed switching it so there was just the 2gb in the machine and still it wouldn't load. I have a feeling its because the pieces of ram are different speeds, one is 667mhz the other is 800mhz.. Plus i never saw any change in the speed of my mac either so def ram problem.

OP
T
Reaction score
P.S anyone reading this in my opinion DON'T buy a different speed ram to that of the original in your IMAC, if your IMAC is 667mhz then stick with that, if its 800mhz stick with that. To see your ram speed, goto About my mac from the apple symbol in top left corner

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.