Ethernet splitting question....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Merry Christmas people.
A quick question for you.
I was wondering if something I want to try will work (pretty sure it will, but some confirmation will be nice).

I currently have my media player connected to my Wi-Fi via the Ethernet port on my Airport Express, but I have just received a nice Blu Ray disc which has some extra features that I'd like to try out, but require my Blu Ray player to be connected to the net via Ethernet too.
Can I use a hub or splitter connected to the Airport Express and connect both?
As I see it, this will work provided only one of the connected devices is switched on at any one time (not an issue).
Cheers my friends.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have never tried that with an Airport Express but I would think an Ethernet Switch would work.

OP
Kevriano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Thanks Dennis.
I kind of thought that it should work. I have ordered a switch (bargain price too), so will report back. More cables!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Provided the Airport is not routing. If the Airport is not directly connected to the modem you should be fine.

OP
Kevriano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Provided the Airport is not routing. If the Airport is not directly connected to the modem you should be fine.

No it's not at all. Wi-fi only. Thanks for responding.

OP
Kevriano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, a little update for you.
I got myself an Ethernet switch (£7 Amazon, bargain!), and have connected it to my Airport Express, and in turn connected the Netgear Media player and the Blu Ray player to it.
Switched on the Blu Ray player, and instantly get a software update (something it's never done having never been conected before), so all is well, and if I ever get a network connectable TV I am sorted for connections in the future.
Thanks for the suggestions anbout the switch. Now to explore the wonders of pocketBlu on the iPod, as the new disc I have supports it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.