Bought a new hard drive, will i need a new OS cd?

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my second post on here! If you have read my other one before, i was/am having trouble with a blue screen at startup and after trying everything have come to the conclusion that it is probably the hard drive. So I went ahead and ordered it online. Now here is my qustion. When i bought my computer it only had OS 10.4 on it, so i decided to buy the 10.6 upgrade from frys. I installed it and it works good (aside from the startup issues). I have since reinstalled the same cd a few different times and it has worked great every time. What i am worried about is when i get my new hard drive in the mail, is the CD not going to let me install the os because i have installed it on a different hard drive before? I mean im not going to keep the old hard drive, just gonna format it and throw it out... I am a PC guy and have been for year and years and i know with a PC you can reinstall the same disk as many times as you want, but with macs i know there are some weird limitations on it and stuff..

So i just needa know if i need to go out and buy another copy of 10.6 or not.

Anyways, thanks in advance everyone;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You are fine to use the one you have. You paid money for it and it going on your new HD so there is nothing weird here in the Mac world . . .

Oh except if you have a cat ;)

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.