Numbers Help

CPM

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first time actually dealing with numbers and functions even though I've had my mac for awhile (1 year). I'm trying to create a running log for the summer, and the template just isn't what I want. I'm trying to create one column header with the day, and want to take the value of the cell above each cell in that column and add 1 to it, in order to get a running list of numbers (which would be the day) that column (eg: 1,2,3...). However, I can't figure out how to drag a certain formula (=Sum(A2+1)) down a column so that it applies to a whole column and so that the fourth row (A4) has the formula (=Sum(A3+1)) and the fifth row (A5) has the formula (=Sum(A4+1)) and so on. I've worked with excel, and there you just drag the first cell down when it has that first formula in it and it will automatically update it for each individual row.

Could anyone also help me with how to drag any formula to apply to all columns using the cells in their row of course, so that each row will have one cell with the time I ran, one with the distance, and one with the pace (it's basically the same question as above, but more general).

I know this is a little technical, but please ask me if I need to clarify something.

Thanks!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi, this is my first time actually dealing with numbers and functions even though I've had my mac for awhile (1 year). I'm trying to create a running log for the summer, and the template just isn't what I want. I'm trying to create one column header with the day, and want to take the value of the cell above each cell in that column and add 1 to it, in order to get a running list of numbers (which would be the day) that column (eg: 1,2,3...). However, I can't figure out how to drag a certain formula (=Sum(A2+1)) down a column so that it applies to a whole column and so that the fourth row (A4) has the formula (=Sum(A3+1)) and the fifth row (A5) has the formula (=Sum(A4+1)) and so on. I've worked with excel, and there you just drag the first cell down when it has that first formula in it and it will automatically update it for each individual row.

Could anyone also help me with how to drag any formula to apply to all columns using the cells in their row of course, so that each row will have one cell with the time I ran, one with the distance, and one with the pace (it's basically the same question as above, but more general).

I know this is a little technical, but please ask me if I need to clarify something.

Thanks!
Honestly (and this may be heresy here) but if I was going to do that I would probably build the template in Excel or OpenOffice then use Numbers to maintain and populate it.

My own solution though is to use

Running ahead web site

http://www.runningahead.com/

I can download directly from my GPS watch and the site takes care of tracking my workouts for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Well, in Excel, you can use copy and paste. It will "translate" the relationship of the cells in the formula. It doesn't take long to paste that for a whole sheet. Will Numbers do that also?

OP
C

CPM

Reaction score
Well, in Excel, you can use copy and paste. It will "translate" the relationship of the cells in the formula. It doesn't take long to paste that for a whole sheet. Will Numbers do that also?

Not that I know of, and that's the problem I'm having.

I have seen that running site, but I would rather plan my runs (General/Recovery/Speed/Tempo) ahead of time so I can plan ahead with meals and have something to stick to.

What I ended up doing is using google docs to write the formulas and doing all of the organization stuff, and then downloading the file as an excel spreadsheet to then use in numbers. It seems to work fine and everything seems to display correctly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.