Thunderbolt Firmware update caused grey screen freeze

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 with 12GB RAM and 2TB HDD, 32 GB iPad 2, 32 GB iPhone 4
I updated my iMac yesterday for the 3 latest updates (2 camera updates and a Thunderbolt firmware updates) and it took a long while which resulted in a grey screen with a a circular loading icon and it wouldn't move from that screen for approximately 20 minutes. I had to hard reset by holding down the power (i know that's not recommended). The computer then loaded up fine with no issues. I went to go check the system update and it recognized that everything was up to date so looks like the update went through fine.

That being said, is there a reason why the mac would freeze like that?

Everything is wroking fine right now but it was momentarily alarming to see it freeze.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
That's a tough call - I would have been a bit alarmed myself as interrupting a firmware update is not a good thing to do - but it appears that you're ok. Hopefully that includes your Thunderbolt port.

OP
DaGrandMastah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 with 12GB RAM and 2TB HDD, 32 GB iPad 2, 32 GB iPhone 4
Is there a way to check to make sure that the thunderbolt port is working....like a system scan?

Like I said, the system update recognized that all components are updated and no issues so it looks like I dodged a bullet but it would be nice to do a system scan that recognized all ports are working fine.

I'm assuming that, even if the thunderbolt firmware was corrupt, it would just allow me to redownload/update/fix the existing firmware with a download fix.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If I remember correctly, Apple's instructions were not to shut off the machine while the firmware update was being installed. Firmware updates can be scary because they perform "brain surgery". However, since it appears the update was already finished when you powered off, you may have dodged the bullet. I'm not sure there is a way to check out if Thunderbolt is working correctly if you have no Thunderbolt devices to test with. If you're running Lion, I'm not even sure how to do a hardware test. I guess I need to explore that myself.

OP
DaGrandMastah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I remember correctly, Apple's instructions were not to shut off the machine while the firmware update was being installed. Firmware updates can be scary because they perform "brain surgery". However, since it appears the update was already finished when you powered off, you may have dodged the bullet. I'm not sure there is a way to check out if Thunderbolt is working correctly if you have no Thunderbolt devices to test with. If you're running Lion, I'm not even sure how to do a hardware test. I guess I need to explore that myself.

Ok cool. I guess I'll be more careful the next time witht eh updates. If I find anything I'll be sure to post it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.