Fan Control for iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Early 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB
Hai again,

I have an iMac, and it gets Uber hot when I do renders with Lightwave. I found an application called SMC Fan Control, but it didn't work. So then I downloaded iMacFanControl, and that worked, TO MUCH. It made my fans go nuts, it said they were at 3000 rpm, and my usual is 999. It wouldn't stop, so I uninstalled, and my problems went away. Is there any other way to keep my iMac cool? I can literally heat up my hand on the top of my Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
I have smcFan installed and yes the fans runs higher but you can move the"default" down to a slower speed and then move them up when needed.

Another option is to use some compressed air and try and move any dust that has settled within - I would suggest you turn up the fan before doing this to help eject anything that is dislodged.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hai again,

I have an iMac, and it gets Uber hot when I do renders with Lightwave. I found an application called SMC Fan Control, but it didn't work. So then I downloaded iMacFanControl, and that worked, TO MUCH. It made my fans go nuts, it said they were at 3000 rpm, and my usual is 999. It wouldn't stop, so I uninstalled, and my problems went away. Is there any other way to keep my iMac cool? I can literally heat up my hand on the top of my Mac.

Sounds to me that your iMac is acting normally...and I really wouldn't bother with any sort of "fan control app.". Both iMacs & Apple notebooks get hot when they're asked to do some demanding tasks...which increases fan speed...just the way it goes.:)

If you're really concerned...you could try taking a small portable fan...and have it blow across the iMac & see if that helps to reduce the temps.

- Nick

OP
AppleCider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Early 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB
I have smcFan installed and yes the fans runs higher but you can move the"default" down to a slower speed and then move them up when needed.

Another option is to use some compressed air and try and move any dust that has settled within - I would suggest you turn up the fan before doing this to help eject anything that is dislodged.

SMC Fan Control Doesn't work. I tried the other one, and the settings didn't change it, it stayed at 3000 rpm. When the mac gets hot, the fans dont go on. The only time I've ever heard them go on was when I used the iMacFanControl app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well smcfancontrol is the best utility but it runs only on intel Macs. You have not bothered to supply computer details so can't help much other than Nick's suggestion.

OP
AppleCider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, sorry for forgetting.

iMac 20" early 2008 intel core 2 duo.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.