"Windows" Disk Image Not Working?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
Hi,

I have Windows XP installed running with bootcamp on my MacBook Pro, I notice when I am using OSX, there is a windows disk image that appears below the Macintosh disk icon. My friend also runs XP & Bootcamp, when he is in OSX and on his system he can open up the windows disk, then add/remove files.

However, for some reason I cannot, I can open up the windows disk, but cannot drop files into it. When I open "Get Info" on the windows disk, it tells me it can "read only" under Ownership & Permission, on my friends computer it says it can "read and write".

I would love to resolve this issue, and be able to add files to the windows OS without having to restart and boot into windows, your help would be appreciated.

Cheers Shaun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You formatted the disk in NTFS, which OS X can only read, and your friend formatted it in FAT32, which OS X can read and write. Only way to resolve the issue is to wipe the windows partition, and start from scratch using FAT32 (maximum partition size of 32gb)

OP
MacBurg
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
**** it, I'm sure I never noticed an option for this when setting up the partition and installing windows.

Anyone know of any tutorials on how to wipe the partition and start again? Guess I'll be spending my saturday googling, again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Use the BootCamp assistant to restore the startup disk to a single partition. Create a new bootcamp partition of less than 32gb. When you get to the step in the windows installation where you select the partition format it as FAT32

OP
MacBurg
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just wondering if there is any way to do this re-install without needing the windows XP install disc? I dont have the disc handy anymore, and it will require a long trip to get it back. Could I just back up XP or do something similar? Your help is much appreciated,

Cheers Shaun.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.