Can't Boot Macbook - Tried a few things

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro 17", MB Air 13" 1.7Ghz Core i7, iMac 27" 3.1Ghz, iPhone 5, couple iPad 2s and a 3 + 20 more
Troubleshooting a friend's unibody-white Macbook 2009 (?), 13"

Can't boot into Install DVD
Can't boot into Apple Hardware Test
Can't boot into Safe/Verbose/Single-User - nothing

Just Apple logo screen, spinning needles.

HDD is spinning and not making any clicking or death noises so it could be a filesystem issue, corrupted HD, but I should be able to boot into the Install DVD.

Any ideas?

Swap the drive for a fresh one and boot? Not sure why that would work if I can't even boot up into the install DVD now...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
With the Install DVD in did you hold the C key right after the Startup sound and keep it down? Still no boot from the DVD?

I once ran into a booting issue on a 2007 iMac where the hard drive was totally dead and it would not boot off any install media either. It would sit at the gray screen with the Apple. Took out the drive and up it came.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro 17", MB Air 13" 1.7Ghz Core i7, iMac 27" 3.1Ghz, iPhone 5, couple iPad 2s and a 3 + 20 more
With the Install DVD in did you hold the C key right after the Startup sound and keep it down? Still no boot from the DVD?

I once ran into a booting issue on a 2007 iMac where the hard drive was totally dead and it would not boot off any install media either. It would sit at the gray screen with the Apple. Took out the drive and up it came.

C doesn't work after the chime, tried that in addition to the Option boot command, nothing on both accounts.

The only thing it now boots into is the Apple Hardware Test (D) but it's not compatible with this system. So I'm forced to a restart.

The fact that it won't go into the Single-user or the disk is strange

I'll take out the disk next and try to boot onto the install dvd... Seems I'm running out of options

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What Install DVD you have? Did it come with that Macbook? If not, is it a full retail black DVD? Very important as some OSX DVD's are not going to boot with your Macbook.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What Install DVD you have? Did it come with that Macbook? If not, is it a full retail black DVD? Very important as some OSX DVD's are not going to boot with your Macbook.

I don't know what OS this thing is running so I'm trying:

1) Leopard Macbook Pro install DVD (oem)
2) Snow Leopard install dvd (retail)

I don't have a Macbook (non-pro) install dvd. Only Leopard (retail and oem), Snow Leopard (retail and oem for MB Pro), Lion USB and OEM.

It's mid-2009 so it's gonna be either SL or Leopard.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SL retail should boot. Is it the $29 DVD? The Model specific DVD's that come with a Mac will only boot with a model of the exact same specs and model.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SL retail should boot. Is it the $29 DVD? The Model specific DVD's that come with a Mac will only boot with a model of the exact same specs and model.

Nope, won't boot to SL Retail disc. Tried C and Option. Nothing.

Should I take the drive out? Not sure why that would make it boot to disc if it won't listen to these commands now?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try removing the drive and see if it will boot from the Snow Leopard retail DVD. I've run into that before. If it won't boot even with the drive removed then you have start thinking about a more serious hardware problem.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With the HDD out, I managed to boot to the Install DVD. Installed new WD drive. OS installed fine. So far so good.

Thanks for your help!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, great. Thanks for posting back and letting us know. Have fun and visit often. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.